Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone on here can help me out. My 2003 700 isn't getting any spark. I installed a new stator and a new coil/cdi. But still no spark. So I checked the voltage regulator and hooked up a new one I had on hand but still no spark. I spoke to a Polaris mech and he told me to disconnect the black wire from the coil/cdi cuz this wire keeps it from getting voltage at times. The battery is new and the exciter switch in the throttle trigger is working properly. Everything that created spark for this ATV has been replaced and I just don't understand way its getting no spark at all..any help would be great. Also I do know of the Ducati ignition systems hiving out and being faulty but it ran great for Ten years. So with all new polaris replacement parts being Ducat I parts should make this thing run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but is the plug wire part of the coil or separate? Is there some way the spark could be escaping the wire before the plug where the insulation is cracked or burnt?

If the wire is the same one from the old coil, maybe IT is the issue. Again, I don't know if the new coil comes with a new wire, so this may be a mute point and a dumb suggestion.... but it's all I got!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The replacement parts are not Ducati there is a kit Part #2202603 from Kokusan comes with new stator, flywheel, CDI, Regulator, rectifier jumper wire and instructions $450 from cycle parts warehouse, this is the fix, don't waste any more money buying other parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Plummit but the new coil/cdi has the plug wires on it. I even out the new plugs in the boots and held one with my bare hand and gave it a crank just to see if it had a week spark. Russ C, I co know of the kit but I figured why spend all the money so I got a new stator for $60 because that's were the spark begins. So I figured $60 was better than $500, but still no spark. do I bought a new coil/cdi that was $260 from Polaris Parts and bit has Ducati stamped right on it. Still no spark. Then s new regulator and still no spark. Even thou this machine had the old ignition system by Ducati in it since new it worked fine for ten years. Now it has all new original manufacture parts it still don't work. I have no idea whats with it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well, I would start with the CDI box. It's what takes power and then creates the spark with it. See if its getting the power it requires. If not, trace back from there. If yes, then trace forward by seeing if the CDI is actually putting out a spark without the plug wire. If yes, continue with the wire, if the wire checks good but still no spark, then it's probably the plug. Just cause you got all new parts doesn't mean 1 of them wasn't dead on arrival, or that its not a wire issue somewhere in between all of them!

If you haven't already gotten one, go to the link below for your service manual.
http://gh-ftp.com/ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/2003/2003 Sportsman 600 and 700 - SM.pdf

I'd recommend starting on page 237 (10.13) because the way that reads for your model, if your throttle cable tension is gone, it closes and grounds out the CDI and it will not spark at all; and won't even idle. So if it won't idle, its a safe bet it won't start either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd recommend starting on page 237 (10.13) because the way that reads for your model, if your throttle cable tension is gone, it closes and grounds out the CDI and it will not spark at all; and won't even idle. So if it won't idle, its a safe bet it won't start either.
I would have to say.... that sounds like a BINGO!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Go on Atv connection and talk to Old Polaris Tech, he did a lot of these and the problem is the Ducati parts are junk, that's why they changed to Kokusan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the exciter switch in the throttle. And the coil and cdi is a one piece unit in a 700 twin. It has two plug wires on it. I took this machine and even they said go replace it with the upgraded unit. My point is that it ran great girvten years with the ducati unit. I replaced the parts that create spark but no luck. Even a Polaris shop don't know what's wrong with it. I just don't see the since in buying and replacing parts. I'd like to know why and what is causing the night spark issue. It ran from day one with the ducati parts and now I put brand new ones in that were purchased from Polaris.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
...so have you traced it with a multimeter yet? Does no good saying you have new parts on it...new parts can be bad from the get go. Find out where the power is stopping at; using a multimeter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I understand what you guys are saying. At first it was just a stator $60 no big deal. that is were there spark is generated. But that wasn't the cause. Even the local polaris dealership has no idea what is wrong. One day it was working fine, the next day itcwss around 30 degrees and it didn't wanna stay running. It was popping and backfiring and thst was it. Hasn't ran since October.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying. At first it was just a stator $60 no big deal. that is were there spark is generated. But that wasn't the cause. Even the local polaris dealership has no idea what is wrong. One day it was working fine, the next day itcwss around 30 degrees and it didn't wanna stay running. It was popping and backfiring and thst was it. Hasn't ran since October.
I have a '03 700 with the same issue...mine would run perfect for around 10-15mins then just die like the key was turned off...after a few hours would start and run perfect for a few mins again. Then finally lost all spark completely.

Have always been told needed the upgrade kit, but never fooled with it yet. Pretty sure its got around 6000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After tossing all the new parts at your machine, may I ask what was the problem in the end? I have a sportsman 600 that was running great and acted like I shut off the key.
Thanks, tad

·
Registered
25 Posts
No end to the Story ?

I think it's great how people start these threads, then just disappear. Doesn't help any of us to keep us in the dark. If you want help, great but be willing to help others out by giving the answer to what resolved your problem. I currently am diagnosing a 03' sportsman 700 with no spark. pickup and stator both ohm out correctly. Does anybody have any thoughts about RMStator plug-n-play CDI and coil replacement? Aftermarket CDI that mirrors the Ducati Module? somebody have the schematics willing to share? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's great how people start these threads, then just disappear. Doesn't help any of us to keep us in the dark. If you want help, great but be willing to help others out by giving the answer to what resolved your problem. I currently am diagnosing a 03' sportsman 700 with no spark. pickup and stator both ohm out correctly. Does anybody have any thoughts about RMStator plug-n-play CDI and coil replacement? Aftermarket CDI that mirrors the Ducati Module? somebody have the schematics willing to share? Thanks
I can understand your frustration. I have found many threads like these that just leave us hanging because they either sold the bike or fixed it by just buying the whole Kokusan kit.

With that being said, I am having the same issues with my 03 700 Sportsman as you are describing. I went ahead and ordered the RM Stator CDI and coil replacement which should be here next week sometime. If this doesn't fix my issue, I will just end up buying the entire Kokusan kit.

- If you would like to purchase it from me if it isn't my issue, I am sure we can work something out. Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the response bmiller5, as of now, since the only way to diagnose the CDI is with a known good one, I took a chance and ordered a CALTRIC CDI MODULE off of Amazon. relatively inexpensive, but new. I don't know if I will keep it in use or order something more appropriate after I put it in. Today I got some info on how to check throttle tension and some wiring schematics and ohm ranges. Will follow up when parts arrive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Success (sort-of)

I received my Caltric CDI module way ahead of expected delivery time. Not supposed to be here till Friday, but here it is in the mail today. So I went down to the garage and installed it. It started and ran (roughly) as long as I didn't connect the kill switch wire. Soooo, I've got a secondary issue. It wasn't causing the no spark before as I was running the tests with the wire disconnected anyway. I've seen where some just leave the wire disconnected as they seldom use the switch to kill the motor anyway, just key off. I'm gonna research the switch before I come to any rash decisions. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed my RMStator kit and still have a no spark issue. Im thinking I am just going to have to bite the bullet and buy the whole Kokusan kit.

- Any update greg?

·
Registered
25 Posts
As of today, I'm still trying to trace down a grounding issue. I have installed the Caltric CDI and it starts and runs, but if I connect the ground wire to it , it dies. I have now replaced the kill switch on the left handlebar, but that had no effect on the issue. I've located a wiring diagram and have traced the ground lug the CDI connects to and it has 3 wires that lead to the speedo, one to the kill switch which then ties over to the ign. switch and the 3rd that goes to the throttle cable tension safety. . .None of which i've sound a problem with. . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts