Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I have a build thread for everything else but never compiled one for my XP so here it goes.

My old '96 sportsman 500. First year they came out and served me well over 13 years. Had right at 6,500 miles on it when I sold it.

I took delivery of my brand spankin' new XP550 in March of '09 which has a build date of August of '08 so it's one of the early ones.

When I got it:

Took the warning sticker off (don't mind the dog):

Then the Mods came. First up the ATV guru front and rear bumpers. Talk about stout, awesome construction!!! I've actually had to use them and they saved me 2 head lights and a tail light so far.

Front before:

Rear before:

Front After:

Rear After:

Next up came some "sliders" that I got off ebay. I had already been tweaking the foot boards on rocks and such and figured this would help protect them.

Out of the package:

Installed:

As you can tell in some of the pics I also have a rear rack extender and front storage box installed as well as a RAM mount for my garmin GPS, and a warn XT winch. I also have HID lights in all 3 lights, and a Shark audio system that plays SD card, USB, Radio and has an aux input.

Here are some pics of riding. I do not condone riding without a helmet, FYI.

A sunk '96 sportsman 500 and my '09 XP550.

Now my cousins '09 XP550 (black) is now stuck and I got out

Me on my old '07 yamaha 450 while my dad rode my XP

Beautiful country out by Big Bend in southwest Texas.

Part of our group:

This plan didn't work out too well: Notice my dad stuck in the background on his '07 sportsman 500 X2, I tried to go around and it was a no go!

Well that's what I have for now, you can check out my Flickr link in my signature for more pics

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to throw out there that I got the extended warranty on it when I bought it. I took it to the shop about 2 years ago to get the "clicking rear axles" replaced under warranty, which polaris covered. Then, about a month ago I noticed a harsh metal to metal sound and feel in the bars when the front suspension would unload and load, like going over whoops. I jacked the XP up and tried to wiggle the suspension around to see if it was the balljoints, while doing that I could see the top and bottom bushings on the front shocks have play in them.

I took it to the dealer and showed them the issues and so far they have replaced suspension bushings and are waiting on what polaris says about the shock bushings. The dealer and I looked at the parts diagram and polaris doesn't sell just the bushings and only lists the whole shock assembly with bushings installed. Once I get those replaced polaris will have done every single bushing on the machine!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Post more pics!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got my XP back from the dealer Friday and they did replace all bushings and both front shocks, the rears were still okay.....for now. The dealer quote me something like $860 for all the bushings and around $350 for the front shocks, if the warranty didn't cover them. Seeing this means the extended warranty paid for itself yet again, about 2 years ago I had the clicking rear axles replaced which I know where not cheap.

I haven't ridden it yet but I'm excited to see just how much better it rides without the clunking over bumps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I got back from my first big trip with the new bushings on and it rode great. I rode it a little over 100 miles in 2 days and never had a clunk like I did before. I'm fixing to regrease everything and do the general post ride check on everything so I'll post up if anything is out of wack.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! Now....will they work with foot well skid plates? That's the question for me to figure out next.
Sure thing. I'm not sure if they will be a simple bolt on or if you have to some mods but I bet you can get them to work. Even if you have to drill new holes and put some spacers or something in there for a good fit.

great looking machine!!:D
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts