Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2wd works fine but every time I switch to 4x4 the 20A fuse blows. Not instantly but soon after. I even put the parking brake on and it blew after a little throttle with no wheel movement. Anyone know what’s going on?

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
what machine?? Pull the AWD connector off and see if it blows when switched. You can also test for power at the connector and test the coil in the diff. I suspect the coil is the issue.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Also check the wires coming off the hub .Mine got caught up between to steering stem and the frame.kept blowing the fuse

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what machine?? Pull the AWD connector off and see if it blows when switched. You can also test for power at the connector and test the coil in the diff. I suspect the coil is the issue.
2009 Polaris xp550 thanks I’ll try that

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
2009 Polaris xp550 thanks I’ll try that
The 2 center pins on the connector, Gray and Brown/White. The wire harness side should read 12VDC when switched the AWD. The diff side should read 25ohms of resistance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harness side has no reading on 2 center pins but 12v on outer pins.
Diff side has 25ohms on 2 center wires
Both when switched to 4x4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2 center pins on the connector, Gray and Brown/White. The wire harness side should read 12VDC when switched the AWD. The diff side should read 25ohms of resistance.
Oh yeah and this happened after the first factory service in 2010. Had only a few miles on it. Only has 900 miles now after blowing about 30 fuses.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
So just to clarify explain further the coil resistance. one post it sounds like you have the correct resistance in the other it sounds like the coil is bad with no resistance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the switch was off at first . Or I don’t know wth I’m doing. Last checked it seemed the coil was good. Also started the engine and put the trans in low with the switch in 4x4 and some throttle and it did not blow the fuse. Put switch in adc 4x4 and immediately blew the fuse. Thinking about disconnecting the adc if possible. No money for parts right now

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
ok cause the coil ohm'ed out right with one of your tests. That ADC gets fooled up sometimes. I would just disconnect it. Thats actually a feature that i deem basically useless and potentially dangerous.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
So let us know if the ADC disconnected solves the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So with the plugs connected it blows fuse and not connected it doesn’t. And it shows the 4x4 sign on the screen. But only blows when switched all the way left to ADC. Middle setting (4x4) one click to the left does not blow fuse. I’m not electronically savvy so this is a learning curve for me. When checking the harness and AWD pins, they should be connected and key on and in 4x4 mode? Cause I can’t check like that if it blows the fuse. Another way? Thanks for your help by the way this is frustrating!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just received the correct wiring diagram and my harness wires have a different color than the schematic. Problem? Or just trace them by what I see?

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Hows the ADC fluid look?? Have you changed it??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts