Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so much on here about riders putting HD springs on their rides, I figured I'd try something a little different and a little cost affective. The one thing I don't like about EPI's front HD spring is that its not a progressive rate spring like the OEM springs that come on all Sportsmans. While this will make it more stable and gives it a little bit more lift, the HD springs ultimately give it a firmer, stiffer ride. Which personally I don't like on a utility atv. Now the OEM front springs on the 500s are too soft and start to fade after a period of time. The springs have a progressive rate of 52-90lbs. So what I did instead of HD springs, I put a set of Sportsman 800 springs, which have a rate of 75-111 lbs. They are basically the same length as the stock 500 springs, but with a 20lb higher rate. And believe it or not it makes a difference. It rides a lot better, handles better, sits up just a tad bit more and it makes the atv sit level. Plus it does not fade as bad either.
On the rear shocks, I put a pair of 1" spacers on my wore out springs. While this is probably not as good as the HD springs, its a good, cheap alternative. It still has that famous Polaris IRS ride, but without all of that squatting it did before. Plus it has a little bit more sportier feel to it also.
I did all of this for under $140. Appearance wise, it does not have that look where the front end is sticking up higher than the rear end, like so many I have seen with the HD spring setup.
I'm not bashing the HD spring setup at all. I'm just giving the 500 guys another alternative thats affordable and works pretty well.:)

·
10,586 Posts
Hey PolarMud, you must have ESPN or ESP or something. I've been thinking about putting the OEM springs from my 800 on my 500 RSE for the significant other to ride. Its sagging a little in the front. I just hadn't gotten around to checking the spring rates to see if I thought it would work OK. Where did you come up with the rates?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do you happen to have the part number(s) of the springs you used? What year 800s can be swapped into the 500s?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey PolarMud, you must have ESPN or ESP or something. I've been thinking about putting the OEM springs from my 800 on my 500 RSE for the significant other to ride. Its sagging a little in the front. I just hadn't gotten around to checking the spring rates to see if I thought it would work OK. Where did you come up with the rates?
Most OEM parts online distributers (Cycleparts Warehouse, Babbitts, etc) will have the rates listed on the parts display beside the prices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts