Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is how this became...i was riding the trails behind my place( on a 2011 500 h.o. carb) and my quad dies on me ,was not hot had just let it cool before my return back home. I tried to start it and nothing. then i tried pushing the gass while starting it ...it fired up and then died, when i let off the gas. so i did it again and and held the throttle slightly and tried to put it in gear to take off..once again dies. So i put it in gear pull the choke, and start it up , this time i was able to get it back home. I got it back and took the carb apart and cleaned it out,no luck still.So i adjusted my cables made sure they were in spec and still no luck.I've checked the fuses and yes checked oil, even have good new fuel. the choke must be pulled for the quad to run, even after up to temp. So now im having a bit of trouble figuring this out , any and all help is welcomed. thanks.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Check the air filter. Also the exhaust.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Dude...check the gas filter? and the choke cable adjustment...did you check for vacuum leaks around the carb and boot?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
did you take jets out of carb and blow thru them with carb cleaner and compressed air? sounds like pilot jet is plugged

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you take jets out of carb and blow thru them with carb cleaner and compressed air? sounds like pilot jet is plugged
yes sir took the carb out and broke it down for a good cleaning. this is becoming slightly frustrating.

·
Registered
306 Posts
maybe fuel filter

or possibly the thump pump (FUEL Pump) ? or plugged vent line ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did you happen to go through a deep puddle before you shut it down?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
or possibly the thump pump (FUEL Pump) ? or plugged vent line ?
Did you happen to go through a deep puddle before you shut it down?
fuel pump is good and vent lines were 1 of the 1st i checked , i recived the quad with 1 melted shut from exhaust from k's motorsports,so been there done that i check for that like i check my oil level.

no sir so water at all, was on a dry trail.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anytime a engine only idles with choke on usually means that the pilot jet/idle circut is plugged. When you cleaned the carb did you remove the two jets and pass a small wire, needle or drill bit through them to make sure that the jets are 100% clean. Carb cleaner can only do soooo much.

Then we can look into other possibilities like CDI, Crank seals, carb boot, etc....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anytime a engine only idles with choke on usually means that the pilot jet/idle circut is plugged. When you cleaned the carb did you remove the two jets and pass a small wire, needle or drill bit through them to make sure that the jets are 100% clean. Carb cleaner can only do soooo much.

Then we can look into other possibilities like CDI, Crank seals, carb boot, etc....
i will take it off and do another cleaning to make sure i can eliminate that from the problem...will get on it prob wed.,...thank you for the info so far

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up sending it to the shop havent heard back, but i will post the fix so that others that might experience this problem can check it before having to pay the shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
never run anything like a drill bit thru brass jets. you can inadvertly change your jet size real easy. if a jet is that plugged that you need something like that than just go and buy new jets. they are cheap and it will save you a huge fuel/air headache.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Agreed!^^^^^^^^^^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts