Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Every-baahdy!

PART I
Been a member a while, finally getting around to posting. I welcome thoughts on some of the hard work and many hours i've put into creating my ride. below are my some, but not all of my mods I think people here will find most interesting. I will list them, show some pics, and also write a quick synopsis of my reasoning and helpful items to explain some things if anyone is interested in doing some of them themselves. Please let me know your impressions!

P.S. Thanks to everyone here for ideas and help along the way!

BODY

LINE-X:
I have been Line-x'ing mySportsman's for a while, but the idea began with another project of mine for a couple years ago. I grew up on small quads and my first riding was on a Yamaha YFM 80. When Grandma and Grandpa had them in storage and not being used, I was able to get them and give them a second life. When I looked at restoring the plastics though I started with the usual methods i.e. elbow grease, razor blading the oxidization, heat gun and on and on. Then it hit me. The line-x liner from my truck bed could be custom matched, holds up amazingly and sprays off cleanly after muddy riding. after a search here, I saw that it could be done but hadn't been done a lot. so I gave it a go.

A couple recommendations id give after going through the process:

1. Try to get your plastics to match the color you choose. My XP is Blue, but I wanted to match my truck, when my floorboards busted a rivet on a ride, the blue showed through until I got it tacked back up.

2. USE LINE-X!! it goes on hot, the cheap stuff is exactly that. You get what you pay for. 3. All installers are not equal. The guys I use have become good friends because they do great work at a decent price. (was about 550 for two machines)

Here are a couple examples, starting with my 850:

Here is my old Yamaha YFM 80. Almost done restoring... OK really I don't think I will ever be done!

METAL BADGING:
After you line X you can see from the example above, it is hard to put a decal or sticker on the thing. It doesn't look top notch to begin with, and the rough texture doesn't help. As you are beginning to see I get a bit obsessed in my work! I like to have a concept as I develop, so on my 850 I went with tying it in to my truck. Originally I had an 07' Sierra in the bronze metallic. I recently sold, it but my 14' is the same color! I couldn't just switch after all my hard work, right.. RIGHT! :very happy:

Here I tied in the OEM Sportsman decal and added my own touch with the Sierra. Worked with a great group out of Idaho Falls that scanned in the decal, then we mocked up a new design off the original. I get asked on the trails if its a "special edition" GM sportsman. Yes, yes it is, but I made it. lol

Rear and lower badging

SEATS/SEAT AND HAND WARMERS:
I am a sucker for nice seats. Actually the best part of owning a sportsman is for the ride quality and the seats on the Touring are second to none. With 4 kids, the second seat gets used a lot. As I have made many friends from restoration projects, we matched up the leather from my Sierra. Now that that one is sold and gone, I have grown attached and will be leaving the seats as they are now. Hand in hand with the seats are the Seat and Hand warmers that take comfort to the next level, and honestly is a must for where I live. If I were to limit myself to good weather riding there wouldn't be much done. A note if you add these Mods that I haven't found but just have overlooked. Remember, the switch is more likely to go out on your hand/seat heaters than the heaters themselves. A trick i found helpful while looking to replace my third switch of the season, go for the POLARIS SNOWMOBILE HAND SWITCH! i think, but don't hold me to it, its part # is 4110195. Ill post a picture of it below, but the circuitry in the switch has held steady. again feel free to do what you like but thats my .02 cents on the subject. Also, as a side, I have the polaris thumb switch but I have it wired directly into the switch. Didn't feel the need to have an extra switch like for the seats as I almost never use the thumb heater without the hand warmer.

Won't post a lot of seat pics, as they make an appearance in the other pictures frequently.

Pod showing seat, hand an thumb toggles.

CUSTOM SHOCKS, TIRES and RIMS:
This part still aches a bit. literally two months after custom building off a fox podium with res. shock, I saw the new model had incorporated them. It worked out in the end as you can never downplay the use of an expert to dial your shocks in. I was after a bit of a lift and looked very seriously at at Rubber Downs, or a High Lifter, or many other lift options, but at the end of the day, Like I said before with a family of 6 and all four kids being 5 or under I got a bit scared with hearing instability awareness that is needed when rolling a lift. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and I am sure they are safe products produced by good companies, but my personal fears had me go another direction. With this Mod, i was able to get some good height, dial in the shocks, and still have peace of mind when riding two deep with a child. Again, I am sure the other methods are safe but this is the way I chose to go and am very pleased with the results.

Here you can see the front Podium with reserve, plenty of clearance all around.

Here you can see I did add Ricochet A-Arm guards to protect them a bit.

For technical trail riding in the warm months and cold riding in the winter, I have been happy with my Maxxis. I've wrapped them around MSA20 rims. (Side note, I'm a fan of blacking out my rims but the touch of chrome on the rims have been nice. When I ride in a group they say it catches the sun and looks pretty cool! I would like to say i have seen this for myself but why would I ever let anyone else be riding my Sportsman:ponder:)

PART II COMING SOON!

ELECTRICAL MODS/LIGHTING:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome aboard :shakehands:

You've done some great mods to this machine!! I especially like the custom line-x and decals.

What kind of shifter knob do you have on the XP (saw it in your other post)?

And no surprise that maxxis big horns work well for your riding given your proximity to the actually big horn mountains ;) lol!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
815 Posts
That. Is so badass!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I like the Line-X idea..I have that in my truck bed...stuff is tuff as nails...I have dragged 700lb I beams on it and not a tear or gouge so on the body parts on your quad it will be tuf stuff....its nice you can get it in all sorts of colors..my truck is red...its 9 years old now and just shows a bit of fade in 1 spot...not bad...

your quad looks great wearing it....did the plastic have to get scuffed up any to make it adhere..

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Was just talking to a customer the other day about doing the exact same thing. After getting my new truck bed done with LineX it popped into my head to do an ATV with it. On my list for the future for one of them I think. Love the custom decals work too. Great machine!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Question on shift knob

Thanks for the replies, a couple quick responses...

bgirard420, thanks for the warm welcome. We like to ride in the shadows of the Grand Tetons. It helps us feel good about ourselves when others have nice warm weather and we are stuck freezing our tails off! Glad you caught that shift knob, is this the Picture you are referring too?

Badging, with Billet Shift Knob:

There have been so many little things along the way I tend to forget them. I purchased it from RCM Shift Knobs (tried to hyperlink to it). I just checked his store to see if he had any more, doesn't look like there are at this time but they does great work. Gives shifting a solid feel. I am considering making my own from a leather baseball I have ( i'll throw up a picture, give me your thumbs up or thumbs down on it?) In order to do so I would need to make a fitted shaft insert or even just a bolt tightening base. The Polaris shifting shaft has those darn nubs and notches which I assume are for aggressive shifting at differing torque angles? In order to get an aftermarket shift knob on it, it would need to be ground down. This one from RCM shift knobs fit right over OEM shaft. If I don't end up doing the baseball mod I might take the RCM down and get it sandblasted and powder coated. Maybe a gunmetal grey, flat bronze, or black...?

RCM Shift Knobs:

Leather Baseball thinking about modding:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Al53:

Thats exactly right, this stuff is great. I had a generic liner put in an F-150 work truck and within a year it was pulling apart. This stuff is great. Also, don't know if you know, but you can get a "refresh" on the top layer if there is any dulling or looses its shine. I try to pick a color with as little gloss as possible. A more Matte finish doesn't show dirt as much and needs less touch up.

As to your question about roughing up the plastic, always a good idea. When I was restoring the Yamaha plastic, I did the razor blade, wet-sand, heat process. It took hours and hours. The results were as close to a factory plastic as I have seen but the labor and short term results made me go the Line-X route. A tip you or others might find most useful... With the Sportsman body panels, there is a thinner, almost bezeled edge that slides into the coordinating edges of the other panels. If you add a layer of any material, in this case, the spray on liner, there is going to be an increased thickness, no way around it. The guys at Line-X and I came up with the solution to only add the color portion of the process to this edging, in effect "Painting" the edges. It is a real bugger to tape off but you don't get the added thickness of the Line-X where the tolerances are so thin. That, is were the roughing comes in handy. Helps hold the color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ridinagain:

Hey man, great to see you checked out some of my work, as I have been following, and have been a fan of your knowledge. I would venture to say a lot of us "Noobs" tend to read and read but don't comment to say thanks for the work and effort you long time forum members put in to making life easier on the rest of us.! I know personally I don't like to ask questions and look like an idiot. Sometimes the fear of getting flamed by the old guard keeps us from giving guys like you a tip o' the hat.

Quick question about your clutch kit while I'm talking, and I can move this question to another thread if more appropriate, but with the increased lower and mid range torque gained by the clutch kit, you give up that top speed. Makes total sense, but what, in your opinion could be a quick and easy mod recoup it? I doubt it's not much more than a couple HP net loss to the rear wheels, and if I have read correctly 5-7 MPH off total top speed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Good to hear someone has learned something from the input of others on here. The kit won't take away any top speed. It's the bigger heavier tires that rob it. Takes HP to turn them, and there is only so much available on every machine. You will get back all if not more of your bottom and mid range though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good catch Roboo!

Totally about fit. My guy that built em and I found the least amount of interference, or more precisely, POTENTIAL for interference, with this mounting position. I had read other forum posts (Check out Hyperlink) about FOX not offering them for clearance/EPS reasons. I will say, probably could have been done but it was close. Especially with EPS up front. Good news, hasn't effected ride one bit, and now I am spoiled. Can't begin to explain how great the ride is with them. And of course, when I roll they are right side up:)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks for the replies, a couple quick responses...

bgirard420, thanks for the warm welcome. We like to ride in the shadows of the Grand Tetons. It helps us feel good about ourselves when others have nice warm weather and we are stuck freezing our tails off! Glad you caught that shift knob, is this the Picture you are referring too?

Badging, with Billet Shift Knob:

There have been so many little things along the way I tend to forget them. I purchased it from RCM Shift Knobs (tried to hyperlink to it). I just checked his store to see if he had any more, doesn't look like there are at this time but they does great work. Gives shifting a solid feel. I am considering making my own from a leather baseball I have ( i'll throw up a picture, give me your thumbs up or thumbs down on it?) In order to do so I would need to make a fitted shaft insert or even just a bolt tightening base. The Polaris shifting shaft has those darn nubs and notches which I assume are for aggressive shifting at differing torque angles? In order to get an aftermarket shift knob on it, it would need to be ground down. This one from RCM shift knobs fit right over OEM shaft. If I don't end up doing the baseball mod I might take the RCM down and get it sandblasted and powder coated. Maybe a gunmetal grey, flat bronze, or black...?

RCM Shift Knobs:

Leather Baseball thinking about modding:

Thanks a bunch!!! That shifter is awesome and your custom shifter sounds pretty darn cool too!!!

If you haven't already, check out this thread and throw yours up too...

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-visual-body-modifications/13051-lets-see-your-custom-aftermarket-shifters.html

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Definitely different! i like it all, except for the color on the seats. I get why you chose it, just not my color choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts