Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Sportsman 400. My battery keeps going dead. I just put in a new battery. Everything seemed great for about two weeks with the new battery, but now it's dead like my old one.

The starter hasn't worked for a few years, you can feel a "click" when you try to start it with the key (when the battery is charged). I'm not too concerned with the starter, but where should I start checking for the battery not staying charged?

It's like my head light & radiator fan are pulling straight from the battery. When the battery runs down, it will start to get hot.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Get a multi meter and check the voltage at the battery while running. Should be 13.4v running. My guess is a stator do to using then pull starter all the time and not having the handle seated lets water/mud which destroys the stator

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Your stator (atv, alternator) is on its way out, it not completely by now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Quick question. I charged my battery back up. It's not getting any juice to it when the bike is running. On a whim, I disconnected the positive terminal while it was running, figuring that it would either start running real rough, or just shut off. But it kept running just fine. Would that eliminate the stator and point to the regulator?

Excuse my ignorance on this. The only thing I've ever had to do this machine is change the oil & put gas in it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It is bad for ATVs to run them without a battery. You can damage its electronics.

You need to get a voltmeter. Check the battery when not running. Should be 12.5sh VDC. Then start and bring to around 3k RPM. Voltage should read 14.5sh.

Sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is bad for ATVs to run them without a battery. You can damage its electronics.

You need to get a voltmeter. Check the battery when not running. Should be 12.5sh VDC. Then start and bring to around 3k RPM. Voltage should read 14.5sh.

Sean
Sean - I'm trying to trouble shoot an electrical issue, I don't normally run the machine with the battery disconnected. The voltage has been checked - the battery is not being charged.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you have no charge it is typically the stator. Over charging is usually the voltage regulator. However I've seen more often than not that the stator failing will take out the voltage regulator with it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sand. Not to sound rude. But if you cannot diagnose this. Take it to someone who knows your wheeler. It will save you money in the end on guessing what it might be. But I do agree with ridinagain.

·
11,302 Posts
Ridinagain is spot on in what he said about the stator and regulator. You could try a regulator first since they are relatively cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2011 that if left sitting for more than a couple of weeks won't have enough juice to start.It's done this since new.If Polaris paid more than 10 cents for these batteries they got taken. If I keep a battery tender on it its fine. Problem magnifies itself in the winter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you have 12.5 when not running, and less when running...then the next step would be to check the input to the regulator. I am not looking at the book for your ATV, but there should be 3 yellow wires there. Ohm between each pair (three measurements). Should be relative zero (.43 ohms I think). Then measure each to ground. Should be an open. Should be a brown wire too. Ohm check it to ground. Should be shorted to ground. Should be a wire (red?) that goes to the battery. Check DC volts on it to ground. Should read battery voltage.

If all that is good, the next step would be to start it and check for AC voltage between each pair of yellow wires. Need to rev it to about 3-4k RPM when checking each pair (three measurements). Should be 40+ VAC (probably get close to 60).

If all this checks good, bad regulator. If something doesn't check good...fix that.

Sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts