Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback and tips.

I picked up an 850 non-EPS, with plow and 2500 winch installed today from Full Throttle in Lansing. Out the Door was $8,200. Not a screaming deal, but reasonable. I really had to work on them to get that price. They pulled the ole, "you want the plow and winch installed for that price" routine.

I wanted to buy a new machine from Nicholson's near Ann Arbor. (Mostly because they are sort of local and have been around along time. They are also closer to where I live.) But they really could not come close on the prices. I was originally looking at the 550, but realized for a few hundred more, I could have the 850. The best Nicholson's could do was $8,850 out the door for an 850 package. But they also did not have any in stock.

Holiday Power Sports in Michigan Center was not even close either. They were at 7,700 for an 850 before taxes, fees, etc, and NOT including a plow and winch. They also did not even have any in Stock.

Nelson's in Greenville had the best prices. $8039, 850 with plow and winch installed out the door. They were up front. They had no issue telling me the out the door price over the phone. But they were not going to have another machine in stock for a day or two.

My advice would be:
-ATV dealers appear to be the shadiest industry I have ever dealt with. Much worse than car salesman.

-Don't go into a showroom intending to buy without having final price in hand first. If you show up intending to buy, you lose all negotiating power. Stop by the showroom the week before to get an idea what you want.

- Shop around, but if you are in michigan Nelson's in Greenvile would probably have the best price by a mile. They also don't come across as slimey or shady.

-Use email. If you email a place, you are more likely to get a manager or someone who has the power to make a deal. Rather than walking on to the sales floor and talking to a kid who has only worked there for 2 months.

-If you have a smartphone, record your conversations when you talk to the dealers. I never used this card, but it was nice to know I could fall back on it if push came to shove.

-Make sure you go over all the aspects of the sale on the phone first. "So it is a 2013, right? The plow and winch are installed , right? The final out the door cost is $XX including all fees?" If you don't they will try to change things up like installation costs of the plow/winch once you get there.

-Get EVERYTHING agreed to before you get there. Again, you lose all power if you have anything left to negotiate once you are in the store.

-If you get a solid price from one dealer, other dealers will tell you that it can't be right. They will talk trash about how Dealer X has done this before, they don't include all the fees or whatever in their price. Which is true. But they are using that as a tool to try to get you into their shop since Dealer X is clearly lying to you by saying they could go so low.

-If you are in michigan, I would check out Nelson's in Greenville. They don't seem to BS. They had the lowest price without mentioning a competitor's price.

Full Throttle
Honestly, walking into the sales floor of full throttle a few weeks ago, I was cornered by a pretty shady and annoying young kid. He didn't have any answers to any questions I asked. And he used every cliche salesman trick in the book. I was pretty turned off by the place.
But today, after emailing and talking with them on the phone, everything went smooth. They gave me straight up prices in email and over the phone. And they came close to Nelsons over the phone before I got there. So avoid the sales floor. Email, call, haggle before you get there.

I feel like if they would just advertise that price (8,200) as out the door, people would be buying the machines like hot cakes. It is not the best price in the world, but pretty decent. Folks would be driving up from Ohio if they knew they could get a fair machine without having to haggle and BS about it.

So we now have a pretty awesome machine. It runs like butter and has TONS of power.

Thanks again for the feedback here on the forums.

Please share your buying experiences.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congrats and thanks for time and info.

I bought my first quad from Full Throttle but never again (after sale service and some of that you stated).

When I bought my XP I got a quote from Honda East in Ohio as they always have the lowest prices up front and don’t add any fees other than title. They can’t list the prices anymore but will give you a quite online.

I went to local dealers and asked if they would be willing to match it and most wouldn’t or couldn’t if they are low volume. Motor City Powersports worked it out with me at $100 more than my quote as I told them that’s what it would cost me to drive the extra to get it in Ohio and I wanted to be fair, so basically it was a match of out of pocket.
And yes you need to get an OTD price up front and go over everything!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been to a few dealerships recently to see the different models...and I'm really leaning towards the basic 850 HO non EPS. How do you like the handling of yours without EPS thus far ?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I bought a non-ps and love it! I can ride all day and not feel it but I'm young so that may help. I drove the eps and DID NOT like it at all!!

2013 850ho

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been to a few dealerships recently to see the different models...and I'm really leaning towards the basic 850 HO non EPS. How do you like the handling of yours without EPS thus far ?
I love it. Handles better than any ATV I have driven. I can fly over rolling bumps without feeling a thing. Very smooth and easy to drive.

The EPS was too expensive for us. But the lady of the house isn't really into ATVs. And she said she would have liked to have had EPS after riding our non-EPS version. So, there ya go.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would never buy from full throttle again. My deal used all the "jazz". I got a machine for what I thought was a decent deal. But they are high, treating me that way. It took me 3 hours to score my deal. and I walked away with out the crap plow they offered. Crap winch and crap plow they "offer free". They advertise low low price then tack on mucho fees. Holiday is no better.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My buying experiance (Minnesota)..... I wanted to purchase a product that I could have serviced or find parts for locally (without an hours drive) which narrowed it down to Polaris or Artic Cat. So to me the choice was clear.... Polaris. After I decided "Polaris" I did ALOT of research online (via this forum and general searching) to determine which machine would best suit my needs, budget and so on. After I had it narrowed down I went to an area dealer that sold both Honda (first machines I owned) and Polaris. I played dumb and asked all sorts of questions. From there I decided on a specific machine (2012 Sportsman 800 EFI) and called all the Polaris dealers within 1 - 1.5 hours drive and asked for the "Out The Door" price. From there the choice was easy.... most were close, but one was about $800 less than the others, with the options I wanted installed. I did the deal via email and phone calls. As soon as everything was installed and ready they called, I drove to them finalized paperwork and loaded it up. I didn't haggle on the price, and they gave me 15% off all accessories for the first year after sale. They were more than accomodating!! So, I can't/couldn't complain. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im from Michigan as well and all the dealers around here (Detroit suburbs) were pushy, rude, and wayyyy to high on prices. I was recommended Honda East by a coworker just across the Ohio border. Did most of the legwork by email. They were polite and professional. Gave me a price of 5300.00 out the door for my 2012 500 HO. They will get my next purchase. They happen to be a supporting Member on this site......

·
Registered
850 Posts
I might just bypass all the BS and go right to them next time for my actual purchase, but i would like to keep the buisness here in MI...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Monroe Motorsports in Monroe, Mi matches honda east. have purchased there twice and brother once.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thats what Motor City did for me too...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thats what Motor City did for me too...
i am not a fan of motorcity. they have screwed me too many times randomly. sometimes i get someone who is good, most not.

once i needed an impeller changed on a PWC. i had the pump pulled off, size of a bowling ball. impeller requires a specific allen head type tool that mimics the pumps drive shaft. i didnt have a Seadoo one. they insisted on charging me half hour labor. it took the guy 5 min from my hand back to my hand, just like i told the lady and she insisted wasnt true. cost me $50.

they also wouldnt match my price a few weeks ago on my 500. told me there was no way the price monroe gave me was OTD because they would be losing money. but 2 years ago they matched them on a trail boss no problem after i had to prove what the rebates were.

sometimes they quote me over msrp on accessories, then the next day someone else quotes me under.

bottom line, i dont trust them. i know my price before checking anything they have instock.

end rant.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
850 Posts
I wouldnt doubt it and will check into Monroe next time. Thx

BTW the woman service manager is gone and they hired a new General manager as well at Motor city.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ended up buying a used Sportsman from a guy in Novi that was real easy to work with. I kicked around new etc, but Motor City was super high. Always have been. I had jetski's years ago and they were the same way. I bought one used and another new up off of 23 in Fenton I believe that seemed to have a decent price at the time.

It's amazing how shady this industry is. I too feel if they were more transparent it would be so much better. People don't want to have to worry or get screwed. Its just bad business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well... I did some homework, and it seems the larger dealers can sell cheaper. However thinking I'm gonna stick to the nearest dearlership just because of service or parts. Still trying to decide between the 800 efi sage green, or the 850 (non eps) sage green. I want something that will last at least five years for my sheriff, mei, and search n rescue duties on weekends. The machine I get won't be abused...as this 55 y/o isn't in any hurry to go most places. I've noticed, and talked with several folks who swear by having the power steering, and the 550 eps having all the power needed would be the best choice for my needs. With that being stated... I will plow snow around a three acre
homestead, deer hunting in northern michigan, along with mostly non-agressive riding during my weekend duties. After reading many articles and reviews (can't seem to find many on the 2013 sportsmans), I want to hear the thoughts from you folks. Oh...if the 550 came in sage green I'd most likely sway towards it...just don't care for the two colors, I'd rather be low-keyed than sticking out from the crowd.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well for your type of riding and if your not interested in EPS and want to save even more coin i would look at the sportsman 400 or 500. For fast or agressive riding i would stick with the 550XP.
Any will last you the 5 years eaisily and put a smile on your face.
EFI is nice for cold weather though...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Efi

Well... I did some homework, and it seems the larger dealers can sell cheaper. However thinking I'm gonna stick to the nearest dearlership just because of service or parts. Still trying to decide between the 800 efi sage green, or the 850 (non eps) sage green. I want something that will last at least five years for my sheriff, mei, and search n rescue duties on weekends. The machine I get won't be abused...as this 55 y/o isn't in any hurry to go most places. I've noticed, and talked with several folks who swear by having the power steering, and the 550 eps having all the power needed would be the best choice for my needs. With that being stated... I will plow snow around a three acre
homestead, deer hunting in northern michigan, along with mostly non-agressive riding during my weekend duties. After reading many articles and reviews (can't seem to find many on the 2013 sportsmans), I want to hear the thoughts from you folks. Oh...if the 550 came in sage green I'd most likely sway towards it...just don't care for the two colors, I'd rather be low-keyed than sticking out from the crowd.

I'd say go with an EFI model. EFI has power right now when you push the throttle. It also seems to run smoother.

If it comes down to the 800 EFI vs the 550 XP (also EFI), then go with the 550. They are generally the same price. And the 550 has a much better body, suspension, wheels, etc.

But then if you are deciding between the 550 and 800, Consider that the 850 XP is only going to be about $450 more. And you will never regret having too much machine.

That logic is how we ended up with an 850.

When I got mine a few weeks ago, you could get a new 2013 850 out the door, tax, all fees, etc for $6952 from Nelson's near grand rapids.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Polaris has also recently announced to dealers that they cannot advertise prices below MSRP, mostly to help prevent dealers from dominating sales in other dealer's regions. So, if you are looking for a new machine, don't bother shopping online. Just start calling dealers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts