Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was out ridding a few weeks ago when bang! :twak: a large branch went right into the front of my machine. i stopped and pulled it out but didn't notice the good size rip in the inner CV boot. When i got home i rinsed all the mud and crap off of it and did a quick inspection, found the tear :pat: I downloaded the repair manual online and printed out the section on removing the front axle and changing the Boot. After buying the boot clamp tool (didn't realy need it, but it did make it quicker) and the boot, i got to buisness on it. I found out quick that the books don't tell you everything about how to change these things, but didn't have a whole lot of trouble. All in all it took me about 2 hours to change it. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Thats good to hear, so when I tear mine you'll come over and....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you. Think of the money you saved doing it yourself.

Where did you download the Repair manual online?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone here ever use Mecatech boots on their ATV? I off-road drive with my truck and replaced my OEM boots with Mecatechs after the OEM's were starting to dry rot and they've been great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the inner boot on my 02 Sportsman 700 about a year ago. The same exact one was found torn open today. I don't think I tore it on a branch or anything. I think it was just poor quality, as it seemed to split on the seam. Does anyone know if there is a quality maker of replacement boots? Hate to put a poor quality one on. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the other 3 OEM boots are still good after 7-8 years and the replacement one failed, I would say the factory ones are the good ones JMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey if you dont mind me asking where did you find the repair manual online im getting ready to repair my rear cv boot on my 03 sportsman 500 and would like to have something to go buy polaris's website has a sycmatic but no how to instructions thanks alot! :beerglass:

·
Registered
12 Posts
CV Boot

Hi: I did not find the repair/service manual online. I purchased it from Polaris Dealer. Not a hard job. You will need snap ring pliers. You can use nylon slip ties to secure boot. I have used them instead of the metal ones supplied with the boot, and have had no problems. Good Luck. Joe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ya I have to change out my rear right on. Should I go ahead and change the other one sense ill have it apart?? I have a clicking noise coming from the right side does anyone know what that is???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi: If your other boot is beat up, then I would consider changing it, make sure you use good quality boot. I ended up using original Polaris replacement which I think is a better quality. I also have clicking noise from rear end. Dealer hear has told me that it is just a normal thing for the Polaris ATV's. Make sure bike is greased up good, and don't forget to put cv boot grease in the new boot before you put it back together. The grease should come with the boot kit. One last thing, I used nylon slip tie to attach the boots. Much easier to use. A friend is an auto mechanic, and he tells me he uses them all the time. I have had no problem. Best of luck. Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the CV joint is clicking that means the joint is slipping internally. Be careful as it may suffer a total failure and leave you stranded. I would also be wary of the nylon ties...they may not be tight enought to enusre a complete water seal. If any contaminants get into the boot it will shorten CV life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts