Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my mpg cut in in the time of one tank refill and I have no idea what could cause it my air and fuel filters are new can any one help? My atv is a 2005 Polaris ATP 500 4x4, I use 87 octane fuel and have went threw 30 to 40 gallons of fuel since it happened and I was using 87 octane fuel before it happened, I got around 60-70 mpg before it happened now I am getting 30-35 mpg, I use my atv for slow pace trail riding and to get from one place to another because I am handicapped and my body can not tolerate hard riding.

·
11,142 Posts
What kind of machine? What kind of gas? What kind of terrain? What kind of riding? What kind of symptoms? How did you measure mpg? etc...etc.....

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've never heard of a 500 getting 60 to 70 mpg! I can get 25 mpg on a good day. If I got 30 to 35 I'd be VERY happy!

·
11,142 Posts
Ryan, I'd guess your meaning you used to get around 60 or 70 miles to the TANK instead of per gallon and now your only getting around 30 or 35 or so...that would be about normal. Fuel with alcohol will get less mpg so you might try to find better fuel but I'd say you probably have a float valve leaking and/or your choke is stuck in the ON or partially on position.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Perhaps a good carb clean and rebuild and will bring back some mileage, worn jets may be putting more fuel in? Winter blend will hurt you for sure...

·
Registered
234 Posts
is it in 4X4?

·
Registered
434 Posts
is there snow on the ground that makes a huge difference

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do not know if it would make that much difference but if you ride slow in cold weather the oil in your transmission and rear end will be thicker and take more power to turn the gears. Cold tires will not flex as well as warm ones and the fuel is not as good. Add a bit more wind and some snow on the ground and the engine has to work harder to do the same job as summer weather. Think about your car or truck, they generally get poorer gas mileage in the winter. Everything is colder and therefore stiffer and unless you ride fast or a long distance nothing warms up like summer. What you quoted does seem like a lot of differance though. Might be something else. I would not be too concerned if the engine seems to be running smooth and free.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
EVERYTHING about winter = Less MPG

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You never got 60 - 70mpg unless you only ride downhill in neutral. 30mpg would be doing well. If you were talking miles per tank then you might be having an issue. Most every utility atv out there is designed to get between 60 - 90 miles per tank, maybe a bit more if your lucky. If all the stars align I might get 20 mpg but typically more in the 15-18 range riding in the mountains.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are you running in low gear all the time? That will burn through a tank real quick. I get about 60 miles on a tank with my 05 500 carb. The only other time I got that low of a gas mileage, the rubber seal around the needle went bad, and it was leaking gas that I did not see. It was not until I started smelling it in the building where I stored it. Where is was leaking out of carb, it would hit the hot engine and evaporate before I could see it. Went through about 3 tanks before I caught it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Plus in winter i let my machine warm up good so

you know that eats away at mileage. I try to let it warm up at least 5 mins before i start off on low for 1/2 mile then shift to high. mileage is less of a concern than waiting to run the machine until it nears normal operating temp. I live in central texas so it actually might warm up somewhat here in 'winter' but not where many of you guys live! I touch my oil tank after 30 minute run and i can hold it on it so we know its not even 135 degrees! (that was when ambient temp was about 55). :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I would say that if you have actually lost half of your fuel economy, you probably have a carb issue, because I don't see just winter causing that much of a decrease. Yes, winter weather will cause mpg's to drop some, but I've never seen that much of a drop

·
Registered
434 Posts
i'd say i get about half in winter...on the throttle alot more in the snow, barely anywhere that you can coast so the motor is always working the tires are constantly spinning

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i'd say i get about half in winter...on the throttle alot more in the snow, barely anywhere that you can coast so the motor is always working the tires are constantly spinning
If you're on the throttle more you're going to use more gas winter or summer. What I was referring to was a loss of mpg just because of the winter weather. Cold dense air requires more fuel, but I doubt he lost that much fuel mileage just because its winter. I understand your post Gangle,but the op didn't say anything about being hard on the throttle, just that he lost half his mileage, and it's winter now

·
Registered
434 Posts
i was saying being hard on the throttle because of more drag from the snow, especially deep snow,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts