Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice here...

I have a 2008 Sportsman X2 700 EFI with stock Polaris steel wheels and Carlisle 489 tires. I picked up a set of brand new Polaris steel wheels (pull-offs from a 2016 or later Sportsman) for cheap off Craigslist. I thought I was good to go, so I ordered up a set of Kenda Bear Claw HTRs and had them mounted on my new wheels. Well, today when I went to mount them up, the wheels don't fit my hubs. Apparently Polaris changed the hub size somewhere along the way and now the center hole in the stock steel wheels is smaller than mine. The bolt pattern seems to match, but these new wheels just aren't going to mount to my hubs.

So I'm looking for advice on how to solve this problem. Here's my options as I see them now. If anybody has any better ideas, lemme know.

Option 1: Put new tires on old stock wheels. Only problem is that my front left wheel is dented pretty good (previous owner hit a big rock) and it doesn't hold air more than a few days. Can a wheel like this be repaired? Maybe I just pick up a new front wheel...

Option 2: Buy a set of new ITP Delta Steel wheels and get my new tires swapped over and go on with life!

Option 3: Would a set of wheel spacers make these new wheels fit my hubs?

Option 4: Will a set of wheel hubs from the new Sportsmans bolt up to my machine?

I've attached some pictures that may help. Lemme know what you guys would recommend. Thanks!

Andy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Hey for shits and giggles and might help someone somehow what are the center hole sizes on the wheels, old n new?

I vote for Delta steel wheels. Great wheel and it solves the problem the best way. Understandably it's not the least expensive nor simplest but it is the one that will work in the long run!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The stock steel wheels can be repaired.
In saying this, I’d just buy a new steel wheel for your bike and mount your new tires on them.
Repaint all your factory wheels to look new while the old tires are off and you’ll feel better about your situation.
As for the wheels that don’t fit, I’d resell them even if you take a hit on them. This money will pay for your new wheel and remounting of tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey for shits and giggles and might help someone somehow what are the center hole sizes on the wheels, old n new?
Here's the best I could do with a ruler just now...

4 3/8" on the new Polaris wheels
5 1/8" on my old Polaris wheels

So, looking at 2wheel.com, I can get a full set of Delta wheels for $148 shipped and then get a $50 rebate from ITP if I order by Dec 31. I'm tempted to do that and call it done.

BUT, will these wheels fit my hubs? On the 2W website, when I select my machine, it says they will fit. I am not convinced since I don't know that ITP changed their parts. If I select a late model Sportsman, it tells me the same part number will fit.

Could one of you guys that have these wheels measure the center hole and report back?

Also, it appears that all the Delta wheels are 12x7. Are my Kenda Bear Claw HTR 25x8x12 and 25x10R12 gonna fit on those?

This sure is fun trying to figure all this out...I appreciate the help, guys!

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, it appears that all the Delta wheels are 12x7. Are my Kenda Bear Claw HTR 25x8x12 and 25x10R12 gonna fit on those?
Answering my own question after doing some searching on here...

Looks like most aftermarket wheels are 7", and these tires will fit no problem. :grin

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The newer take-off wheels that you have look as if they are made for the 12mm studs ,so they're most likely off a ranger or the like. You'd be better off using your old rims or find some cast wheels off a 500,600 700 800 sportsman, not the 550 or 850 as the offset is different. Could look into rzr wheels as well. 570,800,900XP, they all have the 3/8" studs and are hub-centric style wheels which what you have. Wheel spacers would take of your issue as well, as long as where you width is NOT an issue, steering might be a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer take-off wheels that you have look as if they are made for the 12mm studs ,so they're most likely off a ranger or the like.
I think you're right. Looking at pictures online of Ranger wheels, they sure do look like what I have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For you guys running these ITP Delta Steel Wheels...are you using the stock flat lug nuts or did you get the ITP flat based lug nuts that cover the studs?

I'm about to order up a set of Deltas for my ride and call it done.

Andy

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Those acorn lug nuts are personal preference as the stockers will work. But they will help protect the lug bolt and give it a finished look also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts