Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welllll.... I finally took the scrammy on its first series harescramble/cross country race this past Saturday. We went to Wintersville OH for round 4 of the AWRCS series at Phoenix Off Road Park. It was a gnarly 12 mile track that we raced for 2 hours plus one lap. 150 quads in the race on Saturday. im going to detail alot of things I noticed while racing, if not for anybodys elses knowledge, at least so I can look back and remember what to do next time.

all I needed was a tether killswitch and a helmet, paid my race fee, bought a $10 transponder and we were ready to rock. I ran the utility class with 11 other racers.
I went with a gunnar tether cord (normally closed) from bikebandit.com and wired it into the red wire with black stripe that connects to the keyswitch like lousianaxcracer suggested.
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...4egxoCfmvw_wcB

we were doing awesome, I was nervous about the start and decided to let all the canned hams go before me and I rounded the first corner in 10th place, by the end of the first lap I had made my way to 7th, and 5th after the second lap. Around 21 miles in I noticed my rear tires were making that aweful noise like they were flat and I was sliding corners worse than usual. I rode it a little easier until I crossed the finish line at mile 24 and pulled off into the pits shortly after, my rears were indeed flat, I assumed I cut them or just rolled them off the bead and figured I'd try airing up quick to get back out there and finish the race. as I started trying to fill my RR I noticed I had taken a 4-5" piece of the inner wheels lip off, and I realized I would not be going back out. I brought my stock wheels and tires with me and contemplated putting them on but it was just me and the girlfriend there with hand tools, I knew by the time I had 2 wheels swapped out the checkered flag would be waving and the race would most likely be over. so we called it a day filled with lessons and I loaded it up.
I believe there were 4-5 renegade 1000's all done up, pro-like with shocks, exhaust, beadlocks, full wraps, etc.
2-3 renegade 800's, one or 2 that look modded, and the others relatively
stock.
1 outlander 800 with some work done, and 1 outlander 1000 with some mods.
2 yamahas, a grizzly and a wolverine.
and my scrambler 850.
Some things I learned….
I need to get my machine lower. A couple weeks back I turned my spring compression up quite a bit. The girlfriend and I were going riding at the Mines and Meadows ATV Park and I didn’t want to be bottoming out on rocks and when we hit jumps. I got dragged off to a double date night on Friday and was up at 6:30am trying to adjust the springs back down. Unfortunatly, there isnt a lot of room to do this with the shocks on the machine and after banging with a hammer and screwdriver for 15mins I had only moved them about an inch, on each side. I decided to call it “good enough” and loaded the quad up. I had adjusted my fox shocks to 14 clicks out of 22 total (towards the “stiffer” side). Next race I will def have the machine lower to take corners faster/better and hopefully not get so much push. I also noticed all those pro-looking can ams were running BNR suspension stickers, a local guy out of ohio who is supposed to be a wizard and be fairly priced. Multiple riders from the sport quad classes mentioned them to me. So maybe I will see about spending some money on some custom shock work.

TIRES!
My Sedona BuzzSaw’s were really great at hooking up and moving me forward, I passed so many other quads climbing hills and in the muddy sections (one poor fella on a rene 800 tried to cross a drainage and buried his left rear tire DEEP. He and a sport quad had a huge bottle neck going that I got delayed in for a minute or so) . I also rode 3-4 miles of my last lap witht eh rears flat and the sidewall held up very well and never came off the bead. They are a great tire for trail/mud riding… BUT. With their tread pattern being mostly lateral/horizontal, I had a lot of difficulty making the sharp turns in the slick clay and mud. The quad really pushed and slid to the outside and I would say this combo of the shocks being set high and the tires pushing caused me to ride much slower and be more cautious in my corners. I will also be looking into tire balls or barbie balls to fill the tires with to prevent future flats (I didn’t even realize this was a thing, I always knew about tubes but the individual balls sorta blew my mind). New tires (one with more longitudinal/vertical tread and beadlocked wheels will be the next things I buy for sure! I originally looked at the STI beadlocks but didn’t like that they were black and silver, and I didn’t want to spend the extra money on the wheels, not knowing if I was going to like racing the machine or not. Hindsight is 20/20, because in addition to wishing the STI HD6’s I bought were beadlocks, I also wished I had gone with a better BACKSPACING! The 4/3 (just like everyone told me, but I didn’t listen cause im an A-HOLE) was too wide for trying to race that tight track. My poor quad bounced off so many trees while trying to keep my pace I was shocked I didn’t bust any wheels on the outside face. SO, new tires and beadlocked 5/2 or 6/1 wheels will be a future purchase.
I started the race in 2wd thinking I would drop into 4 as needed, but by my 3rd turn in the woods I decided that I’d run the rest of the race in 4wd.
I brought my camel pack and was very happy I did. Didn’t realize how thirsty I’d get but it was great to be able to sip and race.
I purchased the over fenders that I so despise but didn’t put them on yet. I think I will mount them up for the next race in an effort to keep me and the quad cleaner/dryer. I also bought some Powermadd gauntlets and decided not to use them, thinking that with it being so dry It would be overkill. This was WRONG. While much of the course was dry, the few wet and muddy spots as well as the ¼ mile race up a flowing creekbed had my hands and grips soaked, and what a PITA it is to race with a wet and slippery thumb throttle. Next time I will have them on and hopefully the hands stay dry. I also cheaped out and didn’t buy tear offs for my goggles because I thought it would be dry. Luckily the creek spray washed mine off each lap and I didn’t have to pit to clean them off, but next race I will have tear offs and ask my girl or anybody who comes to have a bottle and rag ready to clean me off if needed.

While the guys in my utility class were not very friendly (not one person came over to say hey, hi, hows it going? first race huh?) I did meet some great people parked next to me in the pits, who shared a bunch of knowledge and advice with me. Like a true newb, after installing my tether cord, I left it plugged into the quad while I drove to ohio at 75mph, and upon arriving realized I now needed a new tether. I tried to buy one at the parts booth but they didn’t have any, and a sportquad guy offered me his spare if he could find it back at his truck. He gladly let me borrow it saying he’d done the same thing before, so I guess I better fab up a few extras out of metal washers or order a few extras online if that’s even possible.
I will say I started out a little too quick for my own good. I bounced off several saplings harder than I would have liked, slid off the course into a tree pretty hard, and almost endo’d down a steep steep downhill when my rear tires locked up during braking. I had to tell myself over and over to slow down and pay attention.
it's been a dream of mine to ride a XC race since i was 12 years old reading dirtwheels. The AWRCS crew do an amazing job putting these together coming from a new person. i met some great people, registration was crazy fast and easy thanks to the staff. And the FANS! i dont know how many corners or turns i would have missed if those awesome fans werent standing there pointing and cheering us on, if your ever at an event, please go pick a corner in the woods, be careful where you choose to stand, but realize if you point those turns out to the racers they will surely appreciate it! i had to drop out after 2 laps due to some busted wheels/flat tires but i truly enjoyed the experience and will be back for another race in the future!
Here is some video of the race, I show up at 7:09 coming up the creekbed with my headlights on. Enjoy the pics guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
thats awesome man, congrats on doing something you've wanted to do for so long. Hopefully I can get myself in the mix with a race like that!

·
Registered
189 Posts
thats awesome man, congrats on doing something you've wanted to do for so long. Hopefully I can get myself in the mix with a race like that!
Awesome man!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I took hers to WIXC last Sunday... got shocked and excited at the same time , when at the start line seemed like I start it up last, but at the first corners I was 4th... then I give it up ... my goal was to accomplish the race, and I fail , after 3-4 laps got flat tire , pumped it up, then soon after got 2 flats, then I give it up...
after all in my [C] class I was 10th out of 14? but I could get little better if not those flats ... now looking around for better wheels if I want to keep up to those little sporty quads ... there was one guy in a farm clas riding can am 850 . he was doing great... he passed me at the first lap ... well. I have to admit that I wasn't ready / or didn't prepare well, but at least I've got some experience and visual how does it look like racing off road :D either way win or loose ! I had a blast !

here is short video from the start part ....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Awesome you went out and competed.. Thanks for sharing looks like it was fun course to run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts