Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered my rotopax gas packs on sat night along with the alum mounts. i got them today. vary nice i may add. im gona mount them to the front rack. my idea is a bit differnt. but pretty much the same idea. i whent and got 2 sheets of alum today. costed $7.50ea.... i got a great deal on them i may add.

but now that i look at the pic. i wonder if i can get by with one alum piece. guess im gona have to check today.
anyways. i dont like to drill any more hole than is already in there. i prefer to use oem holes. this way if i want to change my mind. there wont be holes in spots i dont want them to be. plus it wont leak.
im gona get 8 stainless steel bolts to replace the oem screws holding the black rails on the rack and use the oem hols to mount the alum to the rack. i will also use spacers to hold the alum off the rack to prevent wear on the plactic. im also gona remove the bases on the rotopax mounts so i can mount them right to the alum. this way it will be a nice clean look. and i wont have a bolt head on one side and a nut on the other.

i do wish the packes were 2 1/2 gal so it adds up to 5gal or 3gal ea to add up to 6gal. but quess the 500 arent as big of a pig on gas as the bigger atvs.

heres a look at it just sitting on the rack. lookes better than a regular 5gal gas can.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i used i beleve it is 3/16" thick alum. only paid $15 for both. i used all stainless steel screws. and nylon spacers. everything is counter sunk or least flush. this way the screw heads wont wear on the rack or the rotopax gas packs. i evon rounded off all the alum edges with a file. ya i spent some time on it. kinda wish the front rack was lock and ride. then i didnt have to leave the mounts on there. but oh well. the rotopaks are heavy duty and if need ill just stack on top. i also made shure it didnt hit the headlight when turning, and i didnt add wasers on the other side but i may just add a regular stainless washer on each rail/alum mount bolt on the inside of the rack.

but heres mine mounted...

and the alum and mounts..

i am also thinking about now getting 4 longer stainless screws and mounting the oem bases back under the stands....... hummmm

i will add pics of the support straps when i get them on in a few days.

i just thought sbout this. soon there wont be much for me to add. ill have to get a new wheeler and start over. lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. got some other pics of the mounts. i added the oem bases again, and i added support straps to the front. they were cut from regular rachet straps....

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Man you do have some time in that, looks good!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That setup looks great. I've got mine ready to mount, I used a single sheet of aluminum 1/2" so I could countersink everything. I appreciate all the thinking you put into the mounts, it made it easier to mount my own. I was lucky, the 550 already has the support straps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
wanted to shout out on how clean your atv is. Man it looks nice. I have an 06 red, same bike, but it is filthy. You have inspired me to give it a bath ASAP.

Is that lifted by the way?

How do ya like your suprechips?

I guess I need to check your profile and posts.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I did something similar. I went with one piece of aluminum vs two. I made it a easy on and off system by just removing 4 small stainless screws when not in use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thor - I like the diamondplate look. How did you mount the diamondplate to the rack? (did you screw through the plastic, or just clamp to the bars somehow?) Also, did you do a similar strap setup as Chuck inside the box?

I've got rotopax and kolpin mounts waiting to go on mine, just hasn't been warm enough to work on it yet. Got a green gasoline pack for the green Sportsman, which pleases my OCD.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Roto-pax by far more superior. They have more threads on the neck and don't leak. The newer Koplin containers all leak due to the "self venting" caps

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had a friend about throw his Kolpin off the mountain in frustration last year due to issues with the o-rings not being in the right order on the pour spout. Once he got them in the right order it still dripped. His were mounted on the back of the machine. I'm mounting my Rotopax on the front rack this spring, here's to hoping all the claims of superior sealing are true.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Rotopax is the way to go! But I just used a bungee to hold mine on!:tuschel:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i had an issue after useing them on a trail ride last yr with the seal round the spout exspanding and not being able to get the spout thought the cap. i contacted rotopax about it and they sent out new seals and spouts. tho since then i havent really used them. but he said when the oring drys out it will shrink and fit again. well after they sat for a few days. shure enough the oring shrank and it fit again. i stil havent used the new orings. may be this yr ill go on my ride again. but over all i like them. had mine for almost a yr.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just mounted my new Kolpin to the front box. I have a set of fuel packs already.
NOT Kolpin or RotoPax...Expedition One. The original mfg'r of the fuel packs for Kolpin, until Kolpin got cheap.
6 threads on the filler neck. No leaks.
However, they do NOT yet make a mount like the Kolpin or Rotopax and the Kolpin ones do not fit. :ugh1:
So I ordered a Kolpin one since I had already rec'd the Kolpin mounts.

I've got it full of fuel and sitting in the sun to expand it to it's full potential. Perhaps as much as 4.5-5.0 gallons!
I did not use any aluminum sheet metal. Pointless in my opinion. I may be wrong...1st time for everything! :bsflag:

I will need to secure the under side of the lid of course.
Ran out of time before work!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Correct my if I'm wrong.
The pre-2010s front cargo box does not have the same aluminum frame underneath the lid.
I think I will get another cable for the right side of the lid to compensate for the added weight of a full fuel pack.
You can see where I'll need more underside reinforcement for the mounting nuts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts