Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so about a month ago my 850 scrambler completely grenaded. ive seen a bunch of posts saying its kind of common. not happy. paid 13 grand for a piece of shit that ive had for not even a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
You lost all credibility when you said 90mph and doing dry pavement drifting. This is an off road vehicle. Are you even 18 ??
Not once did you talk about servicing it at proper intervals.

·
Registered
771 Posts
ouch that sucks. which dealer are you at? i just had mine down at mikes famous and they do take a long time to get stuff done there. they only have one mechanic. it took me over a month and a half to get ball joints, fuel pump and A arm bushings done.
polaris warrantee takes for ever anyways to get back to dealers i dont know why.
good luck

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yep, that blows.. No pun intended!.. Its far from an epidemic but yes there have been a few 850's do this.. Does anyone know yet what exactly is happening to the handful that have?.. In the thousands upon thousands of 850's out there the ones that have ruptured like this don't amount to squat.. But they are the only ones that have had this happen to them in recent memory.. By recent I mean since 2011, there seems to be about one per year posted on here with the exact same hole blown in the side of the motor.. I truly believe the 850 motor to be one of the best in the atv business.. But something inside a very small number of them is wrong.. Could it be the rods themselves that are weak?.. As for speeding up the warranty process.. I think that's really up to your dealer to push for you.. Can you prove to them you maintained the oil etc?.. Receipts etc?.. That might help.. Beyond that.. Just check in with them every couple of days.. Try to keep it front of mind for your dealer.. They have other things to do and are not thinking about your machine 24/7.. The OEM's have seen it all.. There's no story you can tell them they haven't heard before.. Be polite and give them any info they ask you for..

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
First off, I'm sorry you paid $13k for a $9.5k quad.

Second, is it possible the timing gear may have slipped and combined with those speeds caused a chain reaction? I know that was a serious issue on the 13s and below. I'm not a motor guy so I don't even know if that could happen, just throwing things out there.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ absolutely possible. if it went out of time, broke some valves, valves fall into the cyl. something has to give. in this case it jammed the piston on the compression or exh. stroke and the rod let go. if thats what caused it. check the marks on the crank gear, see if they are still lined up

Doesnt sound like you take care of anything you own anyway

"the only reason i cant own anything nice, im not nice to anything i own

'13 scrambler xp850
no eps, dont want that nonsense
3500lb polaris winch, synthetic rope
plow with bent frame
garbage snorkelyouratv snorkels, the 1st design
6" led reverse light
20" front led bar
tons of zip-ties holding broken plastics together with red leds behind
heated grips
heated thumb
polaris hand guards"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You lost all credibility when you said 90mph and doing dry pavement drifting. This is an off road vehicle. Are you even 18 ??
Not once did you talk about servicing it at proper intervals.

I agree! This is as bad as the guy who repeatedly jumped his 800 pound XP and then blamed Polaris when he broke the axles and ball joints.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
How did you get 90 out of it is what im wondering. Contact polaris. i waited a month for them on a warranty claim, and emailed polaris. heard from the dealer that day the warranty was approved.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Even the timing gear slip has been blown out of proportion. You've seen 3-4 of them on here. Of 10's of thousands of them out there. I've seen the same number of blown up ones here too. Sometimes, shit happens. It is a mechanical device and they fail. It happens sooner or later. Sucks it happened so soon though. Hopefully they will cover it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
they look like the same pics the guy from Florida posted 6 months ago and wow did he disappear when the guys started ?ing him

·
Registered
222 Posts
if you want to speed up the warranty process, try to email polaris directly.

as for you motor, unless it was defective, the timing have slipped or you ran it with no oil theses engines are pretty much bulletproof, even holding it to the rev-limiter alot

·
Registered
826 Posts
so about a month ago my 850 scrambler completely grenaded. ive seen a bunch of posts saying its kind of common. not happy. paid 13 grand for a piece of shit that ive had for not even a year. it was fun tho, found out it does 90 running from 5oh, raced a scrambler 1k and lost, bar hopping parties in the winter, dry pavement drifting. it was a lot of fun.

i was going about 70 down the road and shit went flying everywhere. rod snapped and broke my brand new starter, ripped a hole in one spot, punched a small hole in the right side, and blew a chunk in the front. its been at my dealer since december 30th 2014
:lame:
theyre playing a warranty waiting game with me and im sick of it. does anyone know if theres a way to speed this process up?

Sounds like you put it out of its misery!:)
When's the last time you did an oil change?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Huh sounds like you really maintained it well and looked after the $13k pile of..... (Which you over paid btw) funny to think you'd look after something worth that much lol

·
Registered
545 Posts
Damn folks not once does he mention any unit of measure UOM
I mean shit I've seen my 500 doing 136 & I'll bet you whatever you want. See when there is no UOM you are ASSuming

Anyways that sucks for you. Regardless of his maintenance schedule it shouldn't have grenaded.

Honestly I'd delete this before the Polaris Jihadist sitting in India put two & two together and deny your claim, if they haven't already.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Funny how he posted and never came back on here also. I didnt know they made the first year back scramblers without EPS. I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
249 Posts
and before anyone defends him, look at his sig, it shows abuse. Sorry but it sure sounds to me like owner error just from what ive read

'13 scrambler xp850
plow with bent frame
6" led reverse light
20" front led bar
heated grips
heated thumb
polaris hand guards

·
Registered
222 Posts
and before anyone defends him, look at his sig, it shows abuse. Sorry but it sure sounds to me like owner error just from what ive read

'13 scrambler xp850
plow with bent frame
6" led reverse light
20" front led bar
heated grips
heated thumb
polaris hand guards
''IF'' its maintained well... no problems there... I'm abusing mine since 11000km without having it grenading, I bent some pieces of the frame, broke a-arm mount off, broke axles and differential, broke knuckles and hubs, get the exhaust glowing red hot melting plastics, had the engine not runing good a couple of times because of snow/water in the airbox... but I always do my oil change early and wait for it to warm up before beating it and its still going strong
if a 850 don't ingest water of run without oil, it should be a really reliable engine

·
Registered
249 Posts
Most definitely i agree. Thats one reason I went with the scrambler over the can am. I heard many less stories about the scrambler over the renegade which im not putting down on the renegade because its a blast to ride one but my scrambler is equally as fun to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
i came to this forum to try and get help and some of you are being jerks, you can all kick rocks, i havent replied quick cause im not on my computer all the time, for that one person, im 21 thank you. and sure, i like to hammer my machines. i like to get all i can out of them, its a high performance motor that cant really handle what its meant to do, whats the point of it then?

i maintain them very well, so **** you to whoever says i dont. on my scrambler the oil got changed with a new filter every 25 -30 hours, had only done 3 changes and it blew. thought i didnt need to say how i maintained it because its just normal stuff to do when you own something with a motor.

i paid 13g cause i got it with a plow kit and winch, that was the total after all the financing and tax bs. and im well aware i over paid. the plow frame was bent from when i hit a rock, and i wasnt the one who snapped the ******* plastics off. i just threw in some zip ties and lights because a new front plastic is 700 shipped.

instead of assuming im just an idiot kid who daddy bought a quad for, ask me a ******* question. i work my *** off for what i have, it isnt much but its mine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i came to this forum to try and get help and some of you are being jerks, you can all kick rocks, i havent replied quick cause im not on my computer all the time, for that one person, im 21 thank you. and sure, i like to hammer my machines. i like to get all i can out of them, its a high performance motor that cant really handle what its meant to do, whats the point of it then?

i maintain them very well, so **** you to whoever says i dont. on my scrambler the oil got changed with a new filter every 25 -30 hours, had only done 3 changes and it blew. thought i didnt need to say how i maintained it because its just normal stuff to do when you own something with a motor.

i paid 13g cause i got it with a plow kit and winch, that was the total after all the financing and tax bs. and im well aware i over paid. the plow frame was bent from when i hit a rock, and i wasnt the one who snapped the ******* plastics off. i just threw in some zip ties and lights because a new front plastic is 700 shipped.

instead of assuming im just an idiot kid who daddy bought a quad for, ask me a ******* question. i work my *** off for what i have, it isnt much but its mine.
I'm with you it's your right to ride maintain it how you please. Anyways got pics of your red LEDs?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts