Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone. I'm new one here and need some help. I have a 2003 Sportsman 700 with about 1100 mikes on it and about 260 hours. Well I just put a new clutch on it around October.It had a sportsman 500 clutch on it or at least the weights for it. I bought it used from an ATV dealership. But my recent problem is it has no apart at all. Took it to a Polaris dealership and they said it needed the ignition upgrade kit which was $560 plus 3-4 hours labor at $85 an hour. I don't think so. So I bought a new stator from Polarisparts.com. still no spark. So I bout a new coil/cdi and still no spark. The exciter switch is good as well. Any ideas. I need help. This machine ran great. I tried to start it one day in November to go hunting. It barely started and would stall out right after bring started. It also back fired when it did start. But it would just stalk out. I pulled the one plug and there was no spark. Any ideas????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your dealer was right. It's likely got the typical faulty ECM in it and to my knowledge you can't buy a new ECM without buying the upgrade kit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Your dealer was right. It's likely got the typical faulty ECM in it and to my knowledge you can't buy a new ECM without buying the upgrade kit.

I think you might be right. When I bought my 05', my dealer changed the ECM under warranty before I even picked up the machine. He told me there was a recall on the earlier models and into my year and didn't want to take the chance. My neighbor had his 700 catch fire in his garage because of the faulty ECM. Pretty amazing to see his chard wheeler. He was home and caught it in time and pushed it outside. Close call.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but my 700 is carborated so there is no ECM. From what I found out is mid way thru 2004 they went go EFI fuel injected so that's where the ECM's come in play. The only thing I haven't changed on my wheeler is the voltage regulator. But I wouldn't think that would keep spark from the machine. The stator creates voltage and the coil/cdi puts it to the two spark plugs since its a twin cylinder. I gave a mechanical background but this has me stumped. I'm Marine Corps diesel mechanic. I'm lost on atv's

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess it's called something else then. Under your front panel, right in front of the steering post, there will be a black box. A coil pack or whatever you want to call it. That is the problem part. If it says "DUCATI" on it, be assured it is certainly bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to check it out in the morning. I've already changed the stator and the coil pack/cdi. I figured since it ran problem free for ten years then I would just change them two parts since they are the parts that create spark and voltage. The up grade kit is about $550+. The new Polaris stator and Polaris coil/cdi together were only $300 give or take a few dollars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could this black box cause me to loose power to all my gauges and neutral light as well as electric start? Not sure if my quad will even crank due to no pull rope or pull rope assembly at all

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes the PCM controls everything from turning on the fan, giving it spark and energizing the accessories.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
You should buy the whole kit, not seen anyone have any luck with parts. the Ducati systems were bad, the kit is a Kokusan part # 2202603 comes with new stator, flywheel, cdi, coil reg, rectifier jumper wires and instructions, can get it for $450 from cycle parts warehouse.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi there everyone. I'm new one here and need some help. I have a 2003 Sportsman 700 with about 1100 mikes on it and about 260 hours. Well I just put a new clutch on it around October.It had a sportsman 500 clutch on it or at least the weights for it. I bought it used from an ATV dealership. But my recent problem is it has no apart at all. Took it to a Polaris dealership and they said it needed the ignition upgrade kit which was $560 plus 3-4 hours labor at $85 an hour. I don't think so. So I bought a new stator from Polarisparts.com. still no spark. So I bout a new coil/cdi and still no spark. The exciter switch is good as well. Any ideas. I need help. This machine ran great. I tried to start it one day in November to go hunting. It barely started and would stall out right after bring started. It also back fired when it did start. But it would just stalk out. I pulled the one plug and there was no spark. Any ideas????
My '03 700 made much longer, but it had no spark intermittently....then would run perfect again for awhile after setting a few hours...finally it died all together. The ignition upgrade fixed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts