Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No big deal but im surprised only 2mo old and rusty. I do ride it in snow and im sure it is mixed with salt but this soon. Im gonna sand it down n use black high heat header paint this weekend. Hopefully it works. I know I could go aftermarket but I like it to be quiet.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
We bought an 850xp. It was a 2013 demo with just 40 miles on it and it was all rusty as well. Sanded it and foam brush with flat black Tremclad heat paint and it looks like new. Still looks new 5 months later as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
seems to be normal. the stock paint they use isnt heat resistant and burns off fast

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine did it too. Cheap paint or a crappy job

·
Registered
772 Posts
mine did too. Looks like crap. Maybe I will paint it one day.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mine did the same thing. This was one thing I thought Polaris would put a bit more effort in as everyone looks at your machine on how clean it is and Bam.... your exhaust stands out cuz its ugly as hell! Just recently, I removed them and cleaned with 220 grit sandpaper. Buffed them up a bit and looks way better. Thought of using Hi-temp paint but It flakes off eventually. No matter what, a bit of maintenance once in a while.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm thinking of blasting mine, polish it up some and clear it over. The color change in the metal would look really cool

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'm thinking of blasting mine, polish it up some and clear it over. The color change in the metal would look really cool
I think you'd have better luck just repainting it with black high temp paint. Usually it's only chromed steel or stainless steel that will give you the really cool color (burnt) markings you are looking for. It will show up on steel, but not how you hope/want it to.... at least that is my experiance.

·
Registered
944 Posts
One option would be ceramic coating. You have to send it out, but it lasts, comes in different colors and , mud wipes right off it. I believe it's relatively cheap.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Given I just bought my 850 I noticed that there was a pretty good correlation between mileage and rust on the muffler on the dozens and dozens of bikes I saw. Once in a while I'd see a 200 mile, 2013 with a really rusty exhaust for some reason. Mine is 2 years old with 300 miles and given it was used hard and put away wet and full of mud, the muffler is unexpectedly not rusty but was used in the south. A spot or two of surface rust on the undercarriage is about all.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My muffler is in the stage between painted and rusty.

When I was looking at used atvs EVERY polaris machine had a rusty muffler. It is pretty noticable too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I fixed it up today. Sanded it all down and gave it a paint job. I tried to remove it but the springs were giving me a hard time so I masked everything off and went to town. Once first coat got tacky I sprayed it again. Turned out great. I used 2000* header ceramic paint. I was so happy with the outcome I also painted the rear gear box since it had a powdery residue look to it.took it for a 2 hr ride and still looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
Took my muffler off and removed all the paint from mine this morning and went out riding. The color change worked! Looks freakin badass! No clear on it yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks sweet. ..I like the red accents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts