Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slight downgrade, not really a hill. Cousin's white Sportsman 500 hits 58, maybe 60 or 61 on a good run. Mine walks away from him and I am still climbing in speed as I hit 65 and let out of it because where we do our speed tests has a curve near the end of the straight run.

He says he has read a ton on Sportsman 500s and never heard of one hitting 65 mph even downhill. This thing is bone stock.

I had a dealer tell me my compression spring is probably broken. But it doesn't creep at all in gear at idle, which I was told was a symptom of a broken spring. I've had other people tell me that it could just be a weak spring.

Oh, and when he gets on his China made 700, he of course beats me out of the hole, but then I stay within 2 car lengths and by the end of the run I pass him even on that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have heard similar stories about snowmobiles. I think what happens is sometimes they just build one where all the stars align and they get every bit of power out of it that it is capable of making.
The white 500, I assume, is pretty new and not broke in fully.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard similar stories about snowmobiles. I think what happens is sometimes they just build one where all the stars align and they get every bit of power out of it that it is capable of making.
The white 500, I assume, is pretty new and not broke in fully.

We bought them together on the same day. His was on the showroom floor, mine was still in the crate. They have about the same number of miles, and the same number of hours on them. Oh, and also the first day we had them, after breaking them in, we went tearing off down the straight. He punched it before I did, and I passed him like he wasn't into his throttle totally.

I think you are right though, I think there is just something about my machine that the right combination was struck upon.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
He MAY have a bit of free play in his throttle as well. Not allowing it to be fully opened. My wife's only does about 60 tho. You just got a good 1!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He MAY have a bit of free play in his throttle as well. Not allowing it to be fully opened. My wife's only does about 60 tho. You just got a good 1!!!!

Yes we thought of that too, and adjusted them to make sure all the play was removed. His did pick up some speed from that but still failed to hit 65.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
62 I all mine will do, and that was plenty fast on a fairly green engine yet.

You must of got a "hot" one :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^
+1 I bet that's it

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Slight downgrade, not really a hill. Cousin's white Sportsman 500 hits 58, maybe 60 or 61 on a good run. Mine walks away from him and I am still climbing in speed as I hit 65 and let out of it because where we do our speed tests has a curve near the end of the straight run.

He says he has read a ton on Sportsman 500s and never heard of one hitting 65 mph even downhill. This thing is bone stock.

I had a dealer tell me my compression spring is probably broken. But it doesn't creep at all in gear at idle, which I was told was a symptom of a broken spring. I've had other people tell me that it could just be a weak spring.

Oh, and when he gets on his China made 700, he of course beats me out of the hole, but then I stay within 2 car lengths and by the end of the run I pass him even on that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I may be wrong, but my buddy who also has a 500 says they are governed to run in the 57-60 mph range. Im sure someone will chime in and know if this is a true statement. 65 is very fast for a stock 500

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Or your speedo is out a bit.

2 or 3 mph..... Who cares anyways? Do you run it wide open all the time? Lol

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
My 05 500HO will do 51 to 53 mph, that's what it always has been able to do even with new primary clutch spring and belt so I'm thinking that's it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wrong. I am still pulling away from him as he is hitting 60mph. I will use GPS on my phone next time.

And no, we rarely run wide open, but it is fun to do occasionally.

Someone mentioned weight, and he is a bigger guy than I am, but I weigh over 190 lbs and he is at about 230. I don't think that would translate into 4-5 mph. Especially down a grade like that, where his extra weight would actually be beneficial.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Any sort of grade makes the higher top speed of your 500 totally innacurate.

It might not seem like much, but at higher speeds that slight incline will make a huge difference.

And as far as weight goes? 40lbs is quite a bit. Maybe he got a sluggish one, and yours is up to par. Try pulling against another 500.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Wrong. I am still pulling away from him as he is hitting 60mph. I will use GPS on my phone next time.

Someone mentioned weight, and he is a bigger guy than I am, but I weigh over 190 lbs and he is at about 230. I don't think that would translate into 4-5 mph. Especially down a grade like that, where his extra weight would actually be beneficial.
OK.....I'll say it since this is what you want to hear, You have the fastest 500 HO ever made. Now...feel better. But like someone already said, who gives a rats azz. I've never ridden a trail anywhere near that fast, just like I've never caught a fish while running 80 mph, since the bass boat guys always like to brag about their fast boats Same thing here

·
Registered
460 Posts

OK.....I'll say it since this is what you want to hear, You have the fastest 500 HO ever made. Now...feel better. But like someone already said, who gives a rats azz. I've never ridden a trail anywhere near that fast, just like I've never caught a fish while running 80 mph, since the bass boat guys always like to brag about their fast boats Same thing here
That's what I was thinking Vandal! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't think he was looking for an atta boy here. More curiosity of why the 2 identical machines were so different.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Swap bikes and try again.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts

Weight makes a huge difference. That 40 lbs translates into a few horsepower. Really hurts the taller top end.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts