Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've done much reading here and read through numerous google searches and I'm still a bit confused about fluids for my sportsman.
I just bought a;
2003 Sportsman 700 ( carburetor) version
442 miles
75 hrs

I already did the fluids but was hoping someone could say "yep..ride it" before I risk breaking something.
Here's what I did.
Crankcase; Mobil 1 synthetic oil 0W40W and mobil filter 2-Qts
Rear diff;75w-90W mobil 1 gear oil GL-5 5-ounces
Transmission; Polaris AGL gearcase oil -purple fluid 13.5-ounces
Front diff; Polaris Demand drive fluid 5-ounces

I'm worried about the amounts.
FOR DIFFS I've read that 5 ounces is good for the diff's when changing fluid but then I read .75" from the bottom of threads on fill hole. Then I read same statement but 1-5/8" below fill hole. Then I read to maintain checks on diffs, to ad to fill hole.
FOR TRANS I've read 13.5 and also seen fill to threads.
FOR OIL I've read 2QTS but also seen 1.8. Some say oil shjould be in safe marks when having sat a while. Some say crank for 30 seconds then wait a minute and check level. Some say don't crank but ouil should be .25" above safe and so on

Another note is I drained
6.5 ounces out of front diff
17.5 ounces out of trans
12 ounces out of rear diff

Nothing poured out of fill holes when I removed them before draining.

Thanks for any help. I just don't want to ruin it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
On my 700 I fill tran & diff holes to the fill line and 2 quarts of oil.

·
11,130 Posts
You're making it way more complicated than it needs to be.
2 qts. for the engine.
Fill everything else up till it runs out the hole.
If I remember correctly, the front housing holds about 9 ozs....not 5 but you don't need to waste time measuring just fill them up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're making it way more complicated than it needs to be.
2 qts. for the engine.
Fill everything else up till it runs out the hole.
If I remember correctly, the front housing holds about 9 ozs....not 5 but you don't need to waste time measuring just fill them up.
Sorry about that polman500... It just seems that no one knows what really goes in these machines. The manual says 5 ounces and then says to bottom of fill plug. I showed it to the local polaris dealer and he said " ah just ad 5 ounces and see how it does. He also tried to tell me that it needed angle drive fluid in the front diff.

I've also read where people added 2 qts to the case and it blew into the air box due to pressure. and made the engine rattle. I really thought that the fluids would be the simplest part of maintenance

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2010 800 and changed all the fluids as soon as I got it. I did 2 qts of Mobil 1 oil like you did, then just filled everything else to the point the fluid was running out the fill plugs. I've had no issues and it runs great. Good luck and have fun on your new quad!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Some folks don't drain the crank then still add 2 qts. leading to overfill. I drain it all and it always takes 2qts.

As for the diffs, I'm with the other guys, fill them till it comes out the fill hole. There is almost always some residual in them so if you use a dry fill quantity it will be full (and come out the full hole) before you reach that volume anyway.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Overfill..... it's a "holding tank" type system. the extra 4-5 oz of oil in the crank case won't mean jack.

But I'm one that always drains both the tank and case when I change the 400's oil.... 800 is only the case.

As for the front diff and rear diff/trans, I measure out the fluid and add it...... as per the Polaris Lube Chart: http://polarislubricants.com/pdf/Maintenance_guide_ORV_2013.pdf

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the info all. I guess it's just personal preference. Some fill till it spills and others go by the exact polaris fluid capacities. I decided to go with a hybrid of the two opinions.

On my 700 I filled them to;

Rear diff- drained 12 OZ- added 9OZ Book says 5 OZ
Frt diff- drained 6.5 OZ- added 9OZ Book says 5 OZ
Trans- drained 18 OZ- added 17.5OZ Book says 13.5 OZ
Motor oil-drained and added 2QTS

Ya'll think that will be OK?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
As Polman500 said, you are over thinking this. It says to fill to the bottom of the fill plug which means that any more will just flow out. That is the same thing in my book. I fill rear diffs, front diffs and tranny this way and put in 2 quarts in the engine and check with dipstick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As Polman500 said, you are over thinking this. It says to fill to the bottom of the fill plug which means that any more will just flow out. That is the same thing in my book. I fill rear diffs, front diffs and tranny this way and put in 2 quarts in the engine and check with dipstick.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it actually says 5 oz for front and rear diffs. When I drained mine ( after buying it) it was not up to the fill plug and did not spill out. It still had 12 oz in the rear diff and 6.5 in the front when drained.
There was room for more fluid in the front and the rear. More than double the 5 oz recommended. Obviously if I fill them till they spill then 5oz factory capacity is way off.
Again this is about a 2003 sportsman 700.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You asked the question, we told you our answer, if it doesn't suit you do it however you want.
That's funny.. I did do what I wanted. I asked a simple question and just like on the internet searches I got a combination answer. Fill it with 5OZ and some said fill it with 12+ oz.
I just thought some real polaris rep might have enlightened the forum with real actual polaris answers on basic things such as fluid caps. If you call the chart a few post back the answer then don't tell newbies to fill em up just tell them 5 oz and include a "we have spoken" end all statement like Russ's above but be firm in your answer.

Lastly, I have read the 5OZ for diffs factory chart since I got mine. I also read on here or another atv forum that polaris sent a revision letter to all dealers correcting a mistake and upping the amount of diff. fluids need on the sportsmans...

Not trying to give a hard time just was hoping there would be some hard facts here about fluids that aren't disputed.

With the fluid amounts I chose and listed a few posts back it's doing fine. I took it on a 3HR ride up through the mountains with a friend. It went right up the mountain like a champ. This trip was unbelievable as far as straight up rocky trails, straight down in low gear and it did great. We probably crossed 2 rivers and 5 creeks. Best of all the trails are within a 1/2 mile of home. I'll try and get a camera mounted and update the next trip. It truly is a all around test for any atv.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts