Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First this is my first post and if this is in the wrong forum I apologize. I have a 1996 Polaris Magnum 4x4 Blue in color. We bought it new in 1996 and it has always been a good ATV. About 2 years ago we had some trouble with it running rough. As we had never rode it much we just parked it and have not rode it since. Last year my brother in law put some carburetor cleaner and a new spark plug in it and was able to get it started but it was hard to keep running. He believes it needs some carburetor work and a new battery. I do not know the mileage on it due to the speedometer getting hit by a branch in 1998. The plastic, seat, racks, and wheels are all in great shape. It has not faded and has no cracks or broken plastic on it. The tires were put on new a month or so before we parked it and look brand new. I am sure I can sell this locally but I have no idea what to ask. It has always been well taken care of and only used for light trail riding by adults. I have the repair manual for it but I am not mechanically inclined. :suspect: If anyone would could offer any ideas towards a general starting price I would appreciate it. Thanks. I am located in Central IL if that is important.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Average retail in good running order is less than $1,000. If it is in very good condition and running I'd say right around $1,000 or maybe $1,200.

It's really hard to say without knowing what is wrong with it. If you sell it not knowing, that really hurts the price and narrows the market. Some may jump at the chance to get a deal if all it needs is a carb clean and battery. Others will stay away. You never know.

Anyway, I'd guess $700 as is and $1,000 in good running order. +/- $100

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:stupid: I'd have to agree.... $1000 max in good running/physical condition -or- $600-700 as it sits.

If you could get a local small engines shop to clean the carb for $100-150 and drop in a cheapo walmart battery ($50-55'ish).... you'd be money ahead and have a better/quicker sale. But if you don't want to go through the hassle and expense of the repairs.... the $600-700 and "I think it needs...." is your best bet. If it's in good overall condition, it should still go pretty quick!

Good Luck with the sale!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You all for your help. I would be happy to get the 5-700 range for it. I believe I will advertise it in a local Facebook sales group for 700 and that way I can be a little flexible if I need to. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get it running decent and you'll get $1500-1800. No problem. There's not much out there under $2000.00
I think that's a little strong. I am also in Central Illinois and I just got my 2001 Sportsman 500 (last fall) in excellent running condition for $1,800. I shopped around a lot and there is quite a bit to be had around $2,000 in our area.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
bad cam?

by the description of how it runs now it could be the dreaded worn out exhaust cam issue the 96-99 suffer sometimes. Look at the cams thru the viewing port for a quick see at their condition...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Get it running decent and you'll get $1500-1800. No problem. There's not much out there under $2000.00
I would agree to this IF it was in good running order....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts