Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a 1997 polaris sportsman 500, can anyone tell me the number on the key so I can get a copy made. The previous owner only had one and ground the back of it down so itd fit better in the quad....
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
843 Posts
I'm not sure but there is more then one style of key for ur sportsman I don't think they kept it that genearic maybe written down in ur owners manuaul ???

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I think there are 4 types

or 4 distinct keys for this model year. Guessing isn't good (or at least doesn't work well for me!) Another option (though more time and a little more work) is to replace the ignition switch (which comes with 2 new keys). I did mine on a '98 sporty. Switch/keys were 9.99 on ebay (really from fixmytoys) including shipping, arrived in 4 days and took 10 mins (4 wires all to main board in front of front pod) to replace. You'll have an extra key then!

In case you don't have it, here's a link for a 'tech' manual for 96-98 sporties and a few other models. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models/1996 - 1998 Polaris All Models Service Manual.pdf

Best of luck. :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Take the key switch to a lock smith and have him make them. I lost mine and did this and he had them cut in about 15 minutes.

Ronnie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts