Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 97 POLARIS 500 4X4 EXPLORER. I JUST BOUGHT IT TODAY. THE BIKE WOULD GO INTO GEAR WHILE I LOADED IT UP. IT ROCKED AND WOBELED BAD WHEN I DROVE IT AT HOME AND MADE A CLACKING NOISE. NOW IT WILL NOT EVEN GO INTO GREAR. I MANAGED TO GET IT IN TO DRIVE BUT HAD TO GIVE IT QUITE A BIT OF GAS TO MAKE IT GO. IT SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS SLIPPING IN AND OUT OF GEAR. THE MAN I PURCHASED IT FROM JUST REPLACED THE REAR CV SHAFT ON THE LEFT SIDE BECAUSE HE SAID HE "SHATTERED IT" . THE FLUID IN THE CASE LOOKED NEW AND WAS FULL. OH YEA, WHEN I STARTED IT UP IT ALSO MADE A FUNNY WINING NOISE. ANY SUGESTIONS ON WHAT MY NEXT MOVE SHOULD BE.:hmmm:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
take the belt cover off and check belt and clutches, maybe get all 4 wheels off the ground and run it in gear to see whats makin the noise

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like you just bought a lemon!, you didnt ride it before you bought it?, Quad is old, maybe the transmission isnt in gear, i know unless i let mine idle real low it wont go into gear, just grinds

·
Registered
343 Posts
Polaris starters do make a whinning sound thats normal?
As far as the gear problem you need to figure out if its the clutch or trans.

·
Registered
157 Posts
the older models should have an adjustable shift linkage on them, try adjusting the linkage. I need more info on this please

1 - 6 of 6 Posts