Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not new to riding or owning, but I am new to Polaris and to Alaska. I want to go big but don't now where to start. I know I want bigger wheels and tires but I don't want excessive load to my 2006 Sportsman EFI.

Inquiring as to what you all recommend to modifiy for marsh mud and deep water.

·
Registered
114 Posts
u have 26s stock, u can easily go 27 without problems to the bike. honestly i would go as big as u can fit/afford.

mine has 25s stock i have 27s and wider than stock with 0 problems and i haven't found anything that can get me stuck yet

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Bigger tires. But avoid the lift kit stuff. Puts too much strain on the axles, unless you can afford a full set of Gorilla Axles.
Spacers can help too. The wider stance will keep you out of other people's ruts.
Use dielectric grease on all electrical connections if you plan on going deep.
Depending on how deep you are going consider snorkels and radiators relocation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u have 26s stock, u can easily go 27 without problems to the bike. honestly i would go as big as u can fit/afford.

mine has 25s stock i have 27s and wider than stock with 0 problems and i haven't found anything that can get me stuck yet

I have 12" wheels but everyone is recommending 14" with 27" tires. Is the investment for new wheels worth it? or should I keep the 12"s and splurge on pricy tires?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigger tires. But avoid the lift kit stuff. Puts too much strain on the axles, unless you can afford a full set of Gorilla Axles.
Spacers can help too. The wider stance will keep you out of other people's ruts.
Use dielectric grease on all electrical connections if you plan on going deep.
Depending on how deep you are going consider snorkels and radiators relocation.
What kind of price range are we talking for a lift and the axles you speak of? Also, are spacers safe? in theory it makes sense to widen your stance but are they prone to breaking or degrading performance from the 498cc?

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gracias

Welcome to the board!:med:
thanks Bruce, proud to be a new member. I have alot to learn and am confident this is the right place to start. Winter is coming here in AK so I can forsee alot of time spent in the garage keeping my stock rig ready for summer madness.

·
Registered
114 Posts

I have 12" wheels but everyone is recommending 14" with 27" tires. Is the investment for new wheels worth it? or should I keep the 12"s and splurge on pricy tires?
i guess the 14" rims will provide more ground clearance is why they recommend them.

i too have 12" rims, personally i would just go with new tires so long as they will fit the stock rims with no problems of clearance and rubbing. if the stock rims prevent u going bigger or wider than u want, then maybe 14" rims with backspacing will be a nice investment. mine have more backspacing than stock but i got the bike with them on it

i got my tires from atvoutfitters.net they had the cheapest prices. they do big foot kits too(4 tires + 4 rims) if u decide to go that route

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Depends on what tires you end up wanting to get. Some might only be available in 14in. but 12in seems to be very common in certain categories of riding. I have 27in Mudlite XTRs on mine with a 14in ITP SS212s in black. They grip and go on the trails, and the one time I've had them in mud so far, they performed great.

i guess the 14" rims will provide more ground clearance is why they recommend them.
You get the ground clearance by the size of the outer diameter of the tire. The rim size changes how tall the sidewall is. Shortening the sidewall by using a larger rim firms up the ride and makes it feel snappier/more responsive. On the flip side, making the sidewall taller will make the ride softer, more luxurious feeling. Take a 26in tire on a 14in rim. 26 is the total diameter, minus 14 for the rim, leaves you 6in of tire sidewall from ground to rim. Versus a 12in rim, which would give you 7 inches. That's an additional inch to absorb impacts and whatever else you run over, at the trade off of responsiveness. Which if you have EPS would probably not be noticeable in the steering.

Then it comes down to looks, which is personal taste. Either way your speedometer is calibrated to the the wheel size that came OEM. So if you go up a size, just remember you're traveling faster then what the speedo says. Vice versa for going smaller.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Depends on what tires you end up wanting to get. Some might only be available in 14in. but 12in seems to be very common in certain categories of riding. I have 27in Mudlite XTRs on mine with a 14in ITP SS212s in black. They grip and go on the trails, and the one time I've had them in mud so far, they performed great.

You get the ground clearance by the size of the outer diameter of the tire. The rim size changes how tall the sidewall is. Shortening the sidewall by using a larger rim firms up the ride and makes it feel snappier/more responsive. On the flip side, making the sidewall taller will make the ride softer, more luxurious feeling. Take a 26in tire on a 14in rim. 26 is the total diameter, minus 14 for the rim, leaves you 6in of tire sidewall from ground to rim. Versus a 12in rim, which would give you 7 inches. That's an additional inch to absorb impacts and whatever else you run over, at the trade off of responsiveness. Which if you have EPS would probably not be noticeable in the steering.

Then it comes down to looks, which is personal taste. Either way your speedometer is calibrated to the the wheel size that came OEM. So if you go up a size, just remember you're traveling faster then what the speedo says. Vice versa for going smaller.
im not familiar with all atv tires, but which are only available in 14"?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
There are a lot of tires available in a 14" wheel. If you are looking for big tires all the main ones like outlaws, silverbacks, terminators, etc. are all available in a 14" wheel. For the mud you plan on riding in, I recommend either of the 29.5 outlaws. The regular 29.5 outlaws go on a 12" wheel, and the new 29.5 outlaw 2's go on a 14" wheel. As far as a lift goes, RDC sells a good 2" lift for about $200. Then you also need new axles which are about $375 a piece for Gorilla's, which is what I run and reccommend. I also recommend you put in a QSC clutch kit as well as a snorkle kit. As far as other recommendations if you want to be serious in the mud, just look below at my sig. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fantastic advice from all. Especially the breakdown of the difference in side wall. I actually like the wheels that came stock, they are steel painted camo to match the body. Nice touch…. I also like the idea of saving money not buying new wheels, however, a guy at a ATV shop strongly encouraged the 14” wheel because of the break caliper distance to the inside wheel itself. Don’t know if he was being legit or just trying to get me to buy wheels from him. It did make sense though.
I also have to consider being in Alaska, hardly anyone keeps wheels and tires in stock so it costs a f’ing fortune to order them. You can basically as 150 dollars to a wheel and tire combo…. Ridiculous huh?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The guy at the shop is full of it. You do not need a 14" wheel on your model polaris. It is the XP models that will not fit a 12" wheel due to the brakes. So if you don't want to buy new wheels, you don't have to. Oh, and 14" wheels do not give you more ground clearance than a 12" wheel. If you put a 28" tire on a 12" wheel it will be the same size as if you put that 28" tire on a 14" wheel. The 14" will just have less sidewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy at the shop is full of it. You do not need a 14" wheel on your model polaris. It is the XP models that will not fit a 12" wheel due to the brakes. So if you don't want to buy new wheels, you don't have to. Oh, and 14" wheels do not give you more ground clearance than a 12" wheel. If you put a 28" tire on a 12" wheel it will be the same size as if you put that 28" tire on a 14" wheel. The 14" will just have less sidewall.
If I were to keep the wheels and go to a 28" tire don't you think it drastically reduce performance from the small 498cc motor?

Also, I would imagine a clutch kit would be a must?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Larger tires will reduce your performance due to them being heavier. I always recommend a clutch upgrade even without larger tires. I recommend calling adam at Quadshop Customs to hook you up with what you need. Depending on what tire you are looking at, you may also need to get wheel spacers. What size/type of tire are you looking at? Are you going to lift?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the first step will be a clutch kit as per your advice, but there lies the problem of installing it. It doesn't seem like a job for a novice mechanic. I probably would have already has a set of tires if it wasn't for the ridiculous shipping.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Installing the clutch kit is not a bad deal if you have the right tools. I am not a mechanic, but have slowly taught myself how to work on my atv through many long nights, busted nuckles, forum searching, and youtube. I installed one on my old 700 grizzly, but not the one on my sportsman. Do you have a good local mechanic? I went to my local atv mechanic, not a dealer, and was about to order the tools which would have been about $100, when he offered to do it for $30. Needless to say, I didn't install my own. That is one of the few things I did not do myself. I did pull the clutches myself and bring them to him, and he installed the weights and springs. Maybe you could try to go that route if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. EPI has a good series of clutch kit install videos on Youtube. I will try to find the links.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Here you go. Great videos that should make you feel better about tackling the project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks easy enough

Thanks, I watched them all. That guy sure does make it look easy though. I bet when I do it, my garage will look like a 20 kiloton bomb went off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts