Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im relatively new to becoming a more serious rider. I have a 10 sportsman 500 and a 05 trailboss. I have replaced ball joints, bearings, hubs, tie rod ends trying to get the trailboss to ride as nice as the sportsman. Am I fighting a losing battle, will the trailboss ever be able to ride as nice being that it is a swing arm? There is carilise tires on the front and swamp lites on the back, which have a very stiff side wall. My wife and daughter mainly ride the trailboss, and brought the rough ride to my attention after riding mine. On smooth services the trailboss is fine but on rocky areas its a rough ride. Any suggestions on shocks or any advice would be greatly appreciated. They enjoy riding and I don't want to discourage them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,581 Posts
i dont think much is going to help brother. IRS is what they need. time to upgrade.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
thats like trying to get a VW Beetle to drive like a veyron. Just not going to happen. Two totally different beasts. I Agree, time to upgrade. Maybe to a new 570?

·
Registered
619 Posts
A straight axle bike by design, will never ride like an IRS bike. They are for much different uses in my opinion. Ride a Honda Rancher (roughly the same size as your 500) and you'll see the difference right away. The Rancher is a great farm machine, but they suck for much else.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.... Actually been looking at a 570 for wife and youngest daughter. Like I said Im sort of new to riding, is there anything out there with IRS smaller then a 400. My daughter is only 11 so id like to get something small enough for her to ride but big enough for my wife to still ride.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you can get a hawkeye300/sportsman 300/400. They are a midsized frame and are great for smaller riders/newer riders who aren' ready for tons of power. I've got one and It totes my 6'5" 240 lbs + gear and a 30lb 3 yr old just fine. IRS and 4wd. but accessories are hard to find because they are the red headed step child of the polaris family of bikes.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
400 should be about right for both of them. The daughter may have to grow into it a bit still though. My son at 11 fits the 250 timberwolf perfect, not quite the magnum 330 yet. At least by the mn atv laws of fitment. Kids are made of rubber and just happy to ride anything. Get the wife an upgrade, keep the trailboss for the kid till she grows a little more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts