Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys,

My first post here, besides my introduction.
I just acquired a 05' Predator 50 which needs a lot of TLC.
A friend gave me the unit as a gift after been tired of having it in his yard out in the weather uncovered and not in used. His kid out-grew the unit and it has been sitting for a while.

I took off all the plastics and gas tank, cleaned up the tank which had varnish build up and started trouble shooting. The fuel hoses and manual fuel cup (fuel shut off valve) was full of crud so I bypassed it. The battery is dead so I tried to kick started but nothing. Checked for spark and nothing so I decided to get a spare car battery that I have and temporarily hook it up to see what happens but the starter does not work.
After a while trouble tinkering, got the horn to work, which is the first sign that some of the ignition system is working. It seems that the contacts on the ignition switch are dirty so while the horn worked I proceeded to try the starter but nothing except a clicking sound coming from the starter relay so maybe the starter is burned or stuck. I proceeded to kick started and surprisingly, it cranked right up. After a minute on rough idling, it cleared up to a smooth idle. I revved her up and she seems to be working ok. I did realize that the red light comes on (which I assume it's the oil light) whenever I rev the engine, then the light shuts off when it idles back down. Plenty of smoke is coming out of the back which are signs the oil pump seems to be working properly. I also disconnected the battery while it was running and it stayed on, which means the stator is working but when I shut it down it won't start with the kick start unless the battery is hooked up.
I read on a post that by taking off the pulley cover I can inspect the starter sprocket which might be the cause for the starter not working and I'll start doing that right now. Any heads up on any of these issues is greatly appreciated.
I've looked everywhere for a service manual for this ATV but I haven't had any success.
Please chime in ...

Thanks in advance,
MAx

·
Registered
962 Posts
PM me with your email. I have a manual for an 04 I'll send you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM me with your email. I have a manual for an 04 I'll send you.
Its on its way tekrsq, much appreciated...

I was able to open the crankcase which houses the V-belt and verified that the gearing to the starter is free and clean from debris, actually the entire area is shiny clean.
My multimeter/tester took a dump on me a couple of days ago but I was able to run a + jumper from the temporary battery to the starter and she started right up. it could either be an open somewhere or the starter relay, but I'll have to wait until I can get a new meter. Do these starter relays go bad frequently?

Thx.
Max

·
Registered
962 Posts
In my experience, it's usually the starter.

I sent the manual. It's 8.25mb. Sometimes it's too big for certain carriers. If you don't get it let me know, and I'll work out something else.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you get a click with the start button, and the starter cereals with power directly to it, the solenoid is bad. Easy fix, and not surprising given the time it spent neglected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get a click with the start button, and the starter cereals with power directly to it, the solenoid is bad. Easy fix, and not surprising given the time it spent neglected.
I kinda had a feeling it was but I need to be sure since these relays at $57 a pop they're pretty expensive.
According to the manual there shouldn't be any splices from the relay to the starter so I'll double check it when I get my meter.
I already ordered a new battery so hopefully the stator will be charging properly.

Thanks.
Max

·
Registered
962 Posts
Already putting the manual to use, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts