Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud owner of a 2003 trailblazer 250 but an having a major issue. Currently it runs but it has only half the power as my 1999 AND it seems at higher altitudes it floods. I have had it served where they gave me a different jet but did not fix the issue. Also when it floods the only way to start it back up is to take the top of the air box off to allow more air flow. I have considered getting a carberator rebuild kit and changing out the floats, but wanted some further insight before spending to much money. Suggestions please! !!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If you're sure the air filter is clean, look at the snorkel. On some of them ,as they age, the seat gets weak and you sit down and it kinda mashes the airbox, which pushes the snorkel in a bind or different angle,letting it not getting enough air,. Next time when it starts acting up, try statanding up and see if it helps.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
As you go up in altitude you need to jet down for the lack of air for the engine to take in. Your flooding issue is normal for a carbureted engine. The lack of power it seems to have could also simply be the jetting in it. Could also be low compression, or a belt /clutch issue

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we're going to start with adjusting the needle for the jetting but after that will try to look at the clutching any suggestions how to check and/or adjust the clutching?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
To many to type out. LOL Look for worn, broken, and binding parts. Belt glazing on the clutches, belt condition, etc. Also do a compression test on both machines and compare them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry i know the basics and how things work but Not how to test some things, what is best way to test compression machine?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
compression is with in normal stats did change the MAIN JET to a 120 from a 130 and runs great at the high end but super low power in the first 1/8 throttle which is controlled by the PILOT JET, wondering if anyone know anything about the pilot jets, it is currently set at a 40 we ride at 4000 feet or higher

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Try adjusting the air mixture screw on the side of the carb by the idle screw. Small flat head screwdriver. out is leaner, in is richer. Try 1/4 turn at a time and see if it gets better before you rejet the pilot. Glad the main change is helping. What was compression at?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally did not read the compression I have big boys toys here in Utah read it for me and it is within specs we did adjust the air like you said we have to turned it 1/4 turn out which made it leaner seems to have no affected the low and but the top end is still fantastic as far as powers goes

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you are more than 3 turns out from lightly seated then you need to go down on the pilot jet to be able to make an adjustment. Range on the screw is 1/2 to 3 turns out and if you can't get it in that then you need to change the pilot. Out is more air which leans out the idle mixture. Adjust it, then rev it up a bit and see how the throttle response is with a fully warmed up engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright I'll mess with the air some more, I get a repair manual but it doesn't tell me the proper pilot jet for each altitude ... it just Roland the main jet settings, just fit future do you know the pilot jet options? I know I have the right main jet now for the altitude.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
according to Polaris manual 6000 to 9000 ft they recommend at 40 to 80 degrees you should run a 110 main jet turn airscrew out 1/2 - 3/4 from seat raise needle clip 1 position to lower needle. You should be able to get pilot jets in 2.5 increments if needed., but try dropping the needle first. (raise the clip to the 4th hole from the bottom)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts