Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This past weekend we had our ATVs on a lake with a lot of snow. I got stuck and while attempting to get out something happened to the bike.

Now, even in neutral to pull it onto a trailer the rear wheels don't even spin ? we had to literally drag it out.

My first thought was a cooked belt ? If that's the case, why wont my rear wheels turn ?

Any suggestions as to where I can start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
stripped the gears in the diff is my best guess.

will it move in 4wd with the front wheels?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, front wheels move in both 2 and 4 wheel

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You won't know for sure until you split the cases and see but, it's probably the center drive gear or a broken chain.
Any grinding or popping?
When they break, it will default to front wheel drive only.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike starts and runs fine just doesn't move. Had to tow it through 3 feet of snow with no rear tires spinning (So just dragging it) until I found some crazy carpets to slide it easier. What a nightmare though. If the belt was cooked, would the rear wheels be locked up ? neutral does the same as H or L ... Locked up

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Maybe, i misunderstood your first post. I thought the front wheels were pulling.
If not and they will not ,even with the reverse override button pushed in, you may have shredded a belt.
You should remove the belt cover and have a looksee.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your reply ... I just finished taking the belt cover off and it's cooked for sure ... Take a look at the pic

Question is why did the rear wheels not spin in neutral ? Even for towing purposes?
If no logical explanation then it was because the whole rear end was frozen stiff

Now that the belt is off I will grab a new one tomorrow and test it all out . .. Thanks again!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^Sure did a # on that belt !!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your telling me ... Snow and atvs don't mix :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
15 miles was just shy of a full tank of gas ... Crazy ride just glad to get 'er home, thawed out and fixed up for cheap!

·
11,667 Posts
Are you sure you've got it fixed for cheap? Will the rear wheels turn now? If the rear end/tranny/gearcase locked up and you still tried to go it would eat the belt in short order. Did you drain the rear oil and check it?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Did you clean all broken belt pieces out...look for shreds on the clutches and also in the vent tube..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Polman, I think it was just a frozen block of ice on the back keeping the wheels from turning. Northern Canada isn't that warm this time of year. I wont know for sure until I get the new belt on but I am crossing my fingers. I plan to dump all the oils anyways, its about that time.

Al53, thanks, I will check all that for sure prior to slapping the new belt in.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Did you try turning the wheels while jacked up with out the belt on..they should turn..the old belt looks like it was cooked in one spot from not rotating on clutches..if your rear wheels will not turn with belt off....look for another problem or you will cook new one....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the wheels would turn on the jack with and without the belt on. So I am hoping the heat I put to it when I dragged it in the garage melted whatever was frozen. Garage looks like a swimming pool now. 2 days of heat and its still not dry

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ok good....that solves any tranny problems....maybe...does the secondary clutch turn also when in gear....if so your good....no noises....grinding..all is good then

1 - 16 of 16 Posts