Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am going completely crazy about a Sportsman 700 I agreed to buy this coming week. It is a one owner with 125 miles, looks brand new. I am considering not purchasing now due to the horror stories I keep encountering concerning this 04 model. Problems such as ignition issues, water pump problems, head gasket failures,cracked exhaust pipes, faulty floorboards. I hate to let this machine go, but if there is any truth to these allegations, then do I really want it? I only want a quad for some snowplowing and trailriding. It is the carbureted model, is there carb jetting issues as well? If anyone can offer help me decide I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if one backs out of a tentative deal because of (in this situation) nervousness about potential problems, what is the best way of doing it? Seller is a good guy and I do not want to offend him, but I do not want to get stuck either. Thanks All for your help

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
where did you come up with all those problems
go talk to the local Polaris dealer and talk to one of the mechanics and ask him if any of these are true
what you read on these forums is not always true just aholes trying to make Polaris look bad
in 05 I bought the 500 Ho and my buddy bought the 700 sportsman I have 6000 miles on the 500 and I know Doug has even more and he rides the heck out of it
so this is a bad place to ask sometimes, because of the imposters

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you may should pass on ATV ownership at this time.

While the 500 engine may be considered the 'apex' of engine design by Polaris they all break and sometimes with little to no known cause and that includes the 325, 500, 700, etc.

5000 mile atv may be better than a 125 mile atv. You could go new but they crater too sometimes.

Reading forums can lead to seeking a mental health care professional. If you do not have the skills to tear it apart and rebuild it you are just going to have to gamble and depend on others to fix what breaks. A 2004 of any size is almost worthless with a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block unless you sell used parts. Shops charge the same rate where it is a 1994, 2004 or 2014.

What indy posted while I was typing should be helpful with concrete examples.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Talk to a mechanic at the local dealership

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My '04 700 EFI has been rock solid other than replacing the T-bap sensor wire. My rig is even stock with original tires.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Most of the time I talk to Polaris mechanics, they tell me they never heard of any problems... This included the problem with the 2006 Hawkeye breaking its subframe (as an example). I don't know if they really don't know, or are being "company men", but I have not had much luck talking to them...

Not saying it ain't worth a try, just that you can't put 100% value in what you leave with.

Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help asap

These are all issues I have found on this forum, I do not know personally of anyone owning the 700, I have talked to the Polaris mechanics and while they have acknowledged some problems, mainly cold starting issues, the other issues have come from here. I just want to make a well informed purchase, maybe I am over analyzing. Thanks All

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
IIRC there was a cold weather carb update available in this era for 600 & 700. I can't remember what that included though. I was a little leery in the day going with first year EFI but it has been solid. I realize the one you are looking at is a carb model so I don't really have much to contribute there.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My 700 has spent it's entire life outside under a tarp. Usual winter temps are 15-32 degrees. I also don't take it in deep water or mud so I'm sure that has likely contributed to things being relatively trouble free as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How can it be an 04 with only 125 miles?

If you really like it and the price is perfect than buy it.

Have you looked around much?

Remember everyone says they take care of their stuff but in reality only a small hand full do. Washing it isn't taking care of it.

A friend of mine has a 700. I noticed his floor board cracked. He said they used it at the race track to push cars and guys would stand on the running board. Don't know if this would break it or not.

Price, price, price. Remember it is almost 10 years old regardless of the mileage.

Could the speedo been changed?

You have a hard decision to make.

The forums are not a real good place to believe everything you read.

BUY IT RIDE IT!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a buddy with that same machine. At 4500miles(he bought it with 2k) he decided it was time to change the engine oil, he had never checked it either. Not a drop of oil in the tranny and the gear cases looked nasty. Other than a few small carb issues, he has never had a problem. If the price is right, buy it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts