Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a 2014 four wheeler. I am currently looking at the outlander 500, sportsman 400 HO, Foreman 500, and arctic cat 500 core with efi. I want to keep my price to around 8k. I will be using the four wheeling for snow plowing, trail riding, and mud pits. I have heard all of these are good. The outlander the front struts go out easily and there are mixed reviews on the frame strength. Sportsmans aren't to reliable and also have mixed reviews. Foremans I have heard are 95% work and 5% play and we already have a 2013 foreman 500. I want something with a little more play. Arctic cats i have heard mixed reviews about the reliability but they have more low end torque. I want something with efi put power steering im not worried about. Which of these models would you chose and why?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Outlander 500 - most hp, v twin, best looking.
Sportsman 400ho would be my second choice.

For 8k you should be able to swing a 570 eps tho, so not too sure why you would go with the 400.

·
Registered
71 Posts
when I went looking for a atv I was interested in the 500 ho sportsman and read and asked around .the only time I heard bad reviews was from non polaris owners .you know ,I heard this and I heard that.any popo owner I talked to loved them.remember regardless of what anybody says the sportsman is and was the biggest selling auto atv of all time period.being number one comes with a target affixed to it for everybody else to snipe at.ive never had an issue with mine ever that I didn't cause which was minor .if I need another one id not hesitate to buy the new 570 or what ever the efi version is now though ive never had to use the choke on mine as it doesn't like it even in the coldest weather.it goes to figure that if you sell a kazillion machines you are bound to have some issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would also say if you are going to keep it around 8k you can get alot more Polaris than the 400 that compares as good or better than the outlander. Either of those brands would be my choices.

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
when I went looking for a atv I was interested in the 500 ho sportsman and read and asked around .the only time I heard bad reviews was from non polaris owners .you know ,I heard this and I heard that.any popo owner I talked to loved them.remember regardless of what anybody says the sportsman is and was the biggest selling auto atv of all time period.being number one comes with a target affixed to it for everybody else to snipe at.ive never had an issue with mine ever that I didn't cause which was minor .if I need another one id not hesitate to buy the new 570 or what ever the efi version is now though ive never had to use the choke on mine as it doesn't like it even in the coldest weather.it goes to figure that if you sell a kazillion machines you are bound to have some issues.
there is a lot of truth in that statment.

with that said if ur looking for a mid-displacment atv for around $8,000 chk out the eps and non-eps 570. its a new 2014 model but on a proven value line chassis/suspension platform with a motor that cut its teeth for the past couple of years in the rzr570.

fyi the 400h.o. is carberated and seriously consider ps, its all everyone talks about when it concerns modern atv technology.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would suggest you also look into the suzuki king quad king quad i got mine and its a 2013 king quad 750 power steering EFI limited edition. It cost me around 9,600$ out the door. Its also the most reliabkr atv and its got alot of power good suspension and great 4WD system so your getting best of both worlds. Yamaha grizzly is also a good quad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
also, though this is a popo forum if you have dealers around you don't discount cf moto or kymco! all ive read about kymco is good reviews ,their from tawian.cf moto is Chinese but again good reviews in all the rags and for what its worth a 5 year warranty!both mfg,s sell their machines with lots of goodies standard.if either can manage to set up good dealerships the big 7 are in for some serious competition.expecially in the value for money and warranty dept.both are well established in the other 1/2 of the world so are not complete newbies to the game.if we had a dealer for them in my town I would of seriously looked at them.as it is im a popo fan as far as atv,s are concerned ,ski-doo for sleds and etec for outboards.:happy:in our town we lost the suzy dealership and bombie and yammy also.luckly if we want them its just a 5 minute drive to the border of the u.s.a. and our popo dealer will match any advertised price in Michigan for polaris .

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a sportsman 2010 500 and wish I had the xp for a more comfortable ride. The seat is narrower and powersteering. I rode a couple Hondas. The rancher is very nice with plenty of power but not as stable as the sportsman. Same as the rubicon. I can handle the more technical trails with out a lot of work. If I remember right the clutches on the xp are more durable. Paid 6000 for my 500

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
For a budget of $8000..... I'd look at the Close out / year end promo's on a 2013 Polaris 800. I picked up my 2012 on year end promo last October for $720X out the door with winch and plow system installed!!

Not that a 400 (450cc) isn't capable, but I'd aim a little higher in engine cc's with your budget..... check out the new Polaris Sportsman 570 or 550 XP models.

All listed machines are good..... I've also owned a Foreman 500 (2005 model year), also a very good machine, but the ride quality is not near as good as the Polaris machines. But it was super reliable, but my Polaris has been also.

Also keep in mind..... If the Polaris's weren't good and reliable machines they wouldn't be the leader in sales!!!

I personally would test ride all the machines considered and buy what fells and fits you the best in all aspects.... comfort, power, ride and budget. As at the end of the day that is what truely matters!!! = Paying for a machine you will enjoy!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I was shopping I was looking ar Arctic cat and Polaris and decided on Polaris. Two reasons I went with Polaris are my brothers recommendation (who happens to be a die hard Arctic Cat snowmobile owner) and a dealer whotold me if you are going to use it for work get the Cat and if you are going to be trail riding more get the Polaris.
I ended up buying a 400HO which was $500 less than the 500HO but was basically the same bike minus 50CC and 5mph at top end. At my age top end speed wasn't a big concern for me. I have had it for two monthw now and like it very much. Been on a couple rides with friends and I haven' had a problem staying with theguys with 700 Suzuki's.
The 400 isn't efi and doesn't have power steering. Didn' feel the need for either.
Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts