Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay i just bought a used 96 sportsman 500 and it had the winch mounted but none of the wiring was installed and of course there's no instructions. It is a Polaris Warn winch.

I have no clue what all the connectors are and where they go.

I attached a picture showing the wires for the winch, i think i have them right but unsure about where the other ones go to. A, a1 and B, B1 and C come from the switch.

Also have the front where all the wiring is on the 500.

Got it all installed, thanks for all the help!

Here is a little video of it idling.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I can tell you you have the big ones right for sure. Red to Batt +, black to batt -, blue and yellow to winch. The others I'm not much help with by the pics.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try looking up your winch brand on the internet. Such as Polaris Warn winch with the model number and mention wiring diagram. Something might pop up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wires coming from the Switch were spliced Red (A, A1) and Black (B, B1), then there is C which comes off of the switch further up, this has a flat connector, like it should connect some place under the head light, but have no idea where.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Another search would be google winch contactors, wireless remote control. They ussually show where the wires go. Try Ebay or Amazon

·
Registered
222 Posts
Google winch wiring diagram and then click on the pictures. Bunches of diagrams there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay i think i have it figured out, A and B are to hook up a remote switch (don't have one so i will just leave the off) and C is for the key, but I have no clue where that is suppose to be put onto the board under the headlight. Any ideas?

The google search did help. Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try to hook into the hot wire that goes to the ignition. On my 2011 there were two extra hotwires dangling to be used for add on things. Or, if you have a cigerate lighter type receptical tie into that maybe as they operate when the key is on ussually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it figured out, the Red wire "C" went to the board under the headlight, under the red section, there were a lot of empty spots so i figured it had to go there and the winch works perfect. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts