Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Yesterday noticed that my battery was weak, so removed it to charge.
Once I hook-it up I noticed the fan working, even if no key was there...
Tried and tried until the fan went off and a small burned smell appeared.

Can you believe that I was hooking the battery with inverted poles?!?!? :((((((

Once connected the battery again, all works fine, but as I was already expecting after the burn smell, I tried to run the 4 wheeler and the fan does not come up now :(

Tried to do some troubleshooting and connected the fan directly to battery and works fine. Found out the cable (red with black strip) from the fan goes to CDI :(

Mostly sure that I burned the CDI, isn't it? :(

Thanks in advance
P.S: Sportsman 500 H.O. from 2004

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,140 Posts
Your not the first, nor will you be the last, to hook up the battery backwards. Is the burnt smell coming from the CDI Box?

Reactions: NunoBarros

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
Early or late production? I suspect late as early was AC CDI

I doubt the CDI failed - I suspect the finned box (control unit as listed in the parts breakdown or SSCB as labeled on the electrical schematics) on the front of the unit (removed it has a label identifying as Sure Power Unit) - it has nothing to do with ignition but everything to do with controlling the fan, the hot lamp and charging the battery. If totally fried, it will also eliminate power to the chassis (yellow wire on key switch). It is part number 2203348 ans sells for $150usd

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks first of all.
Chassis is almost sure A04CH50AQ, I guess the late one.
Cannot be sure from where the smell was coming, it was not much...

I thought the CDI would be the same part as picture below, but after all seems this is the part that @latebird talks about, P/N: 2203348. That's where I have the feeling the smell is coming.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Rectangle Font Electronic component

Also tried to check with multimeter, and battery is being charged (14,3v) when running.

Is there any way to simulate the engine to be hot and check if fan runs Ok? I tried already to be running with it for some time, which usually turns the fan on, not this time, but don't want to blow the head gasket, trying and trying...

Tks once more.

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
Font Art Handwriting Rectangle Circle

This is the control module (what is pictured in the Walmart photo)
Rectangle Font Slope Line Parallel

This is the sensor (thermister) that signals the control module to turn on the fan and hot lamp
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

This is the ignition system

Font Schematic Parallel Engineering Rectangle

#27 is the control module
Organism Slope Font Circle Art

#16 is the CDI unit

Font Auto part Circle Art Fashion accessory

If the CDI unit fails, the engine will not run.

The control module can fail completely - in which case there is no power to to the key switch - or just the battery charging function may fail or as in your case the fan control may fail - you test the fan control by unplugging the thermister with the key switch on - whether unplugged or if the two yel/blk wire are shorted together, both the fan and hot light should be on. If not, the control module (part number 4010937) needs to be replaced.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @latebird.
Some doubts....
So to test it I need to short those 2 yellow/black wires coming from the head. From your pictures above I believe those two wires goes to ...
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

Isn't this the control module you are talking about? I guess yes.
Then maybe I can short wires near the control module, but from your pictures I guess there's a plug connected to it directly instead of big plug with 10 connectIons, isn't it?

If I can prove that fan is not working when it should (thermistor shortened), only way is to replace this control module? Not a chance to repair it? In Europe goes near 300€....

Thanks

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
You are correct - whether the two blk/yel wires are shorted together at the sending unit or at the control unit provides the same effect. Both the light and fan should come on - if not jumping, 12v+ to the org/blk should make the fan run

· Registered
11 Posts
If it can be repaired, contact modulemaster.com - for the cost, it would be about the same to replace it as repair it
Modulemaster.com cannot get the Mosfet part to repair the fan on the ECM, per their website. I am in same situation with a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO--need a used replacement Electronic Control Module 4011085. We took it to the repair shop because the display read "HOT" even though we had just started a cold machine. It would run for 15 seconds and read "HOT". Polaris is not making parts for anything over 10 years old, is what I have been told.

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
Modulemaster.com cannot get the Mosfet part to repair the fan on the ECM, per their website. I am in same situation with a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO--need a used replacement Electronic Control Module 4011085. We took it to the repair shop because the display read "HOT" even though we had just started a cold machine. It would run for 15 seconds and read "HOT". Polaris is not making parts for anything over 10 years old, is what I have been told.
I believe you are looking for the incorrect part - the 05 500 HO does not use the ECM 4011085 - you need the Sure Power module - part number 2203348 which is readily available for $150 from Polaris - part 4011085 was only used on the 05 ATP

· Registered
11 Posts
I believe you are looking for the incorrect part - the 05 500 HO does not use the ECM 4011085 - you need the Sure Power module - part number 2203348 which is readily available for $150 from Polaris - part 4011085 was only used on the 05 ATP
Can you please verify my VIN, 4xajd50a452759347? I have the Polaris 500 Sportsman at a Polaris Dealer and that is who gave me the 4011085 number. They did call it a Sure Power Module. I am grateful to have your expertise. My invoice reads "Polaris Sportsman 500 HO". However, on the side of my quad is does say ATP. I have spent two days, unsuccessfully looking for the 4011085 lol. I would be thrilled if my quad used a part that is still available!

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
Sorry - you have a 2005 ATP for which the part is discontinued as the model was only made one year and is different than the Sportsman

The ATP control module #4011085
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic

The 05 Sportsman 500 control module 2203348
Product Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel

The ATP module is unique

· Registered
11 Posts
Sorry - you have a 2005 ATP for which the part is discontinued as the model was only made one year and is different than the Sportsman

View attachment 175620

View attachment 175621

The ATP module is unique

View attachment 175620

View attachment 175621

The ATP module is unique
Thank you Latebird for verifying my VIN and part number. I will continue to search for the elusive 4011085 part for my "unique" 2005 50th Anniversary edition ATP. I will also contact modulemaster to determine if they can get the Mosfet part they need to repair the fan control. Hopefully the Mosfet is not another part that is no longer made.

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
Thank you Latebird for verifying my VIN and part number. I will continue to search for the elusive 4011085 part for my "unique" 2005 50th Anniversary edition ATP. I will also contact modulemaster to determine if they can get the Mosfet part they need to repair the fan control. Hopefully the Mosfet is not another part that is no longer made.
A MOSFET is a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor - all you have to do is select the one of the correct bias and wattage and install it - finding the right one is semi-difficult - installing it along with it's complementary resistors, capacitors and diodes is the hard part.

I curse the introduction of electronic replacements for simple fuses and circuit breakers.

· Registered
11 Posts
Latebird -- doesn't look like I will find a SurePower Box 4011085. Watching 2 year old YouTube videos for work-arounds because people couldn't find this part 2 years ago. I think I am at the mercy of the Polaris Dealer and will have to accept a manual fan switch. Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
747 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I have had good luck with a company that repaired the circuit board on my Garmin Zumo GPS and replaced some tiny switches on my helmet radios...maybe they could repair it?

Thank you for the suggestion. The repair requires a Mosfet part that is not available at this time. I'm out of options and will resort to a manual fan switch to get it out of the shop. If you have a 2005 ATP, I would suggest you get an estimate before you put any money into it because you may not be able to get repair parts. I have searched the nation for the 4011085 SurePower box and no luck. If I could find a junked 2005 500 ATP at a salvage yard to buy for parts I'd have it made, provided the SurePower box wasn't defective lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts