Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal. i have a 05 polaris predator tld. i have the stock sprocket set up. i have the pure polaris pipe that has the baffles removed. k&n filter and cold air intake. i need more power and was wondering what other minor mods i could do. i am getting ate up by raptors and 450 (stock). i seem to launch right out of the hole but my the time i reach 4 gear they walk right past me. i though the predator was for top end? anything i could do to the carb? or different gearing or anyother tricks to make it keep up if not beat the raptors and 450's? please need some feedback. thanks you

·
Registered
814 Posts
Welcome to the site, glad to have another Pred owner on here. To help answer your question, you are not going to be smoking 450s or 700s, but to maybe keep up a little more, I would look to get a 15T front sprocket which help with both the low and top end. I didn't notice you say anything about re-jetting, but you need to for those other parts to be more potent. Also, if you can get hands an a carb from a 450R or YFZ450, it will help alot. The stock carb is horrible honestly. Maybe a Dynatex CDI box if you have the extra $$, but do not get a cheaper one, even the Big Gun rev box could easily mess up your motor.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
hey welcome to the site!

this redneck guy is right! changing your gearing is the easiest thing to do. if you want to go crazy, drop 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket and go up 3 on the rear, that will change your quad.

what kind of intake do you have? if you havent rejetted, those mods probably actually hurt your performance. its iffy if you have to rejet after just a K&N filter, some machines need to, some dont, but if you have changed you intake in another other way, you will need to have it rejetted to match, or it will just be slower

if you add an exhaust, your going to have to rejet again. the baffles may have been enought to need it to be rejetted.

another tip, try to lighten that baby up as much as possible.

you wont be able to keep up with the raptors because you just dont have the powerband to do so. and the 450s are quick because they have a little quicker revving motor then yours, because of the smaller displacement. but with a little help, you should be able to at least stay with them

·
Registered
46 Posts
what are you removing when you say baffles?, the disk setup? If that's the case you really should try running different combinations of disks to see which one works the best for you, IMO a wide open pipe doesn't give you enough back pressure to be efficient throughout the entire powerband. Gearing will help but the TLD is mostly geared for 1-4 with 5th being mostly useless from a rolling gear change. The 450's are always a little tough, a relatively stock raptor is pretty close too but you really shouldn't be getting smoked by either one unless something is off. I had better luck with the 450's after I had my flywheel lightened because the bike revs up alot faster and can get the power to the ground quicker.

drop 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket and go up 3 on the rear, that will change your quad.
thats almost a complete break even....a rough rule of thumb is 1 tooth in the front is worth 3 in the back. Going up in the front is equivalent to going down in the back and vice versa, by going up on both the ratio is pretty much exactly the same.
14/38 =2.71
15/41 = 2.73

If everything is jetted correctly try the front sprocket first cause its easy and cheap to get a couple for experimenting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks everyone. i am going to try to rejet it. they guy before me said he had rejetted it. but it think my mixture is a little off cuz when i pull the screen skin off the fuel filter itself it seems to bog out. so maybe im not getting enough fuel? also i have heard some people cutting there springs like 4 spring in there carb that goes onto the needle for more acceleration?? yea i deff want to regear. im kinda hands up in the air on what would work out the best. my pipe is just a normal pure polaris (white bro's) pipe that has the baffle on the back. i have removed them cuz it sounds load and throaty. i have a stainless steel intake that runs from my carb to the air box with a k&n filter connected. i was thinking about putting a program like the cdi but everyone is telling me there not worth the money. and they dont do much. i just want to have power all the way through the quad. it seem like 1,2,3 gears will rip my arms off but when i get into 4th and 5th it seems like she is dead.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah without the disks on the back it will be louder but 9/10 the quad will run better with some in (w/ the plate). That intake youre descibing is that civic style and can be a pain to get dialed in 100%

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
drop 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket and go up 3 on the rear, that will change your quad.
thats almost a complete break even....a rough rule of thumb is 1 tooth in the front is worth 3 in the back. Going up in the front is equivalent to going down in the back and vice versa, by going up on both the ratio is pretty much exactly the same.
14/38 =2.71
15/41 = 2.73
i think you mis-read my post. i suggested going down one tooth on the front, and as much as up 3 on the rear, if you can even find a sprocket that big, or if it will fit, i didnt look that far. stock is, according to the polarisdealers.com microfiche 14/38

as you said...
(stock)14/38=2.71

13/38=2.92
14/41=2.92

so, that there show that going DOWN one tooth on the front, is about equivalent to going UP three theeth on the rear

suggesting going down on the front one, and up on the rear three would be the same as going UP 6 theeth on the rear, and that i know you cant go that big.

back to my original post, i suggested changing as much as going from a 14T to a 13T on the front, and 38T to a 41T on the rear..

13/41=3.15

that is a big gear ratio change, and will make the quad quicker through the gears. i dont even know if how big a rear sprocket you can get, 39T or 40T might be as big as you can buy, i havent looked. but there are lots of aftermarket sprocket manufactures.

:zahn:

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey welcome to the site!
if you want to go crazy, drop 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket and go up 3 on the rear, that will change your quad.
i think you mis-read my post. i suggested going down one tooth on the front, and as much as up 3 on the rear
as you said...
(stock)14/38=2.71
fair enough I did misread (but you did suggest both not "as much as") :deadhorse: (love this sites emoticons :) )
but as long as hes not going the up or down on both its fine......but what I said originally still applies considering the OP stated he's getting burned past 4th. Dropping one in the front and going up in the rear is still lowering his gear ratios and hurting him on the top speed. The TLD already has the close ration gear ratio 1-4 but the 5th shares the same ratio as the std model which is why it drops off in 5th as bad as it does, the best thing you can do is try and stretch the gears out by going up in the front (15) and/or down in the rear if you're more concerned with top speed vs acceleration.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
the best thing you can do is try and stretch the gears out by going up in the front (15) and/or down in the rear if you're more concerned with top speed vs acceleration.
this is true. i dont know enough about the pred gearing to go into as much detail. when i orginally posted "and" i meant that as something as the common extremes of both ends.

but yes, i think of the OP wants more top speed, going up on the front would be a good idea, and maybe dropping a tooth or two on the rear. lose some acceleration, gain some top speed.

im so used to guys at the shop asking for more acceleration less top speed that i just start saying you could drop one on the front, and go up three on the rear as your range. but in this case its the other way around, and didnt catch that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
also rereading this I see that you mentioned something about cutting springs in the carb? that won't do anything for your speed. There is a mod to the oem Mikuni involving the spring but you'll also need to drill a couple of larger holes in the slide. This really won't make it any faster it just really slightly improve the carb's responsiveness.....it will FEEL quicker but won't actually be.

IMO that intake is whats hurting you....even if it was 100% tuned having the filter that far away from the carb will really only boost low end and sacrifice on the top end. The best way to get top end performance is to have a filter bolted directly to the carb but again at the expense of your low end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your quad just needs to be dialed in, I have a yfz450r and my pred is just as fast if not faster. If you do add something, a big gun cdi is the way to go. Just make sure you have a fresh battery also, or you will run in to problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i put a different filter on mine......its a k&n and with a cover and a gear case vent filter, they are off a outlaw 500 but i still need to fab up a plate to keep engine heat and water away from the filter being that the outlaw one does not fit.

as for the pipe i cnc machined a new cap at school, i see you can buy them online but i needed a project and i think it turned out cool.

Its stock jetted and it will hardly run i just sputters and back fires so i know its doing something. I have some jets for it to jet it richer to run right and i bet i will have some noticeable added power now.

also ignore the shock in the pic, its a old front off my sled just to have it so i can move it around. The rear is being re built right now........its amazing how stiff the factory shocks are, that ryde fx on it now with me sitting on its bottoms it out easily

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
yfz 450 carb really make that much of a difference? i am also looking to get more out of m 04 troy lee. I also want some different front shocks for rebound adjustment any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06 pred with hmf exhaust big rev box rejetted and a set of hot cams. I have seen on here that alot of people have everything I do but the cams. The cams make a huge difference. The harder you push it the harder it wants to pull with the cams. The cams are designed for high rpm torque. Try a set if you can

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Predator 500 that I bought about a year ago and it was never fast. I could beat 350's but that was about it. I put a Pro-Circuit exhaust system on it and dropped the front sprocket down to a 13t and neither one made a big difference at all. Upon further inspection I saw the needle in the carb wasn't lifting. I cleaned the carb out throughly and the needle is lifting now. I've raced yfz450's with 505 big bore kits 12.5:1 compression with stage 2 intake and exhaust cams and murdered them. Check to see if your carb needle is lifting or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would start looking my for problems on your predator.my 2003 had the 2006 gears,stage one hot cams with stock valves,jetted 450r carb,full hmf pipe and k&n filter.just a hand full of garage assembled mod's,and i made countles 450's and raptors run home crying.even when it was stock i could run and beat the 450's.the thing would lift the front tires 1st through 3rd gear,and i could climb any hill i pointed it at.damn i should have kept that bike....

·
Registered
43 Posts
So basically what I am taking from this thread is that I need to get a yz yamaha450 carb? Does it half to be that one or can another 450 carb fit? I'm aware that I will have to jet it. I have a 170 main now. I'm looking to do the after mark exhaust for AUTO ZONE:spank: Will the jets out of my stock carb fit in the other carbs? Dumb question I bet. I :eek:p:pobably wont need the same jet tho. Latter fellers I'm going nite nite.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So basically what I am taking from this thread is that I need to get a yz yamaha450 carb? Does it half to be that one or can another 450 carb fit? I'm aware that I will have to jet it. I have a 170 main now. I'm looking to do the after mark exhaust for AUTO ZONE:spank: Will the jets out of my stock carb fit in the other carbs? Dumb question I bet. I :eek:p:pobably wont need the same jet tho. Latter fellers I'm going nite nite.
i would stay away from the cheap auto zone pipe and get a pure polaris slip on(you can get one cheap) or an hmf slip on/full system:)hail:)you dont need to get the yamie carb,you could get the honda 450 carb.main thing is you gotta get a makuni carb,cause thats what is on the predator.either carb will give you the same effect,more fuel delivery,which would make more power and better throttle response.you could just get an aftermarket carb from wrath racing or something for the predator/outlaw 500.it is just what you wanna spend.add a direct mounted K&N filter and a rev box and that is really all you can do to get power with out cracking the engine open...then comes the fun stuff:saevil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts