Polaris ATV Forum banner

Need Help New to this

683 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RVS Performance 
#1 ·
I am purchasing a second ATV. The first one we got brand new last year and other than a winch havent felt much of a need to upgrade anything yet. I am purchasing a 1998 Polaris xplorer 300 4x4. As it sits it is good enough to ride but I foresee getting stuck a lot as the tires are rather small. I am looking for advice and help from the pros on same decent upgrades.

#2 ·
If you go to larger tires, being chain driven you should be able to find different sprockets to regear to offset the tire size. If you got a new one last year, the 98 being a 2 stroke and solid axle and air cooled is not going to compare to the new one at all. You may find yourself disappointed in it quickly.

#3 ·
I have been told that it is a whole different ball game with the chain and 2 stroke. We dont do anything too crazy out on the trails the only thing I am concerned about is I have been told you cant ride it as hard as I do the new one. Something about the cooling system or lack there of. I know with the new one it is like an open car and you can just give it hell all the time I am afraid of blowing this one up by going too hard. And the tires. I just dont know what a good size is or how to go about looking for ones that fit. I know the ones on there now are going to leave me stuck a lot considering the already lower ground clearance than the new one and smaller tires.

#6 ·
It's an air cooled machine instead of liquid cooled I would bet. No reason you can't flog it to death like any other machine. Most of the Japanese stuff was air cooled till not that long ago and they run forever. Just make sure it is in good shape and you should be fine with it. Once you put bigger tires on it, you will know if you need to do any gear changes. It's not that hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.