Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any help first and foremost. I haven't gone and picked up the 4 wheeler yet but a client of mine offered it to me at 700. It had a little over a 1000 hours, had gun rack, rear basket, winch, and a pretty nice snow plow. So worth it at that price?

Here are it's problems. It ran and drove and idled fine. A friend of his said the valve plate was bad in it...I'm assuming he meant reeds. Also the master cylinder is obviously bad, you can pump the handle and get brakes but on first compression you are pretty much not getting any stopping power. It doesn't seem to smoke too bad and fires right up, but it does have trouble going into high from neutral and it takes a lot of throttle in high to get moving up a grade. With it being a 2 stroke, I thought that may be fairly normal.

I've had a Honda rubicon and a banshee so this is far from my first 4 wheeler4. but definitely my first polaris.
1. Is it worth the price?
2. Where should I get the parts I need? Should I go with performance reeds and/or add any other power adders while I have the carb pulled?
3. Is there a place to buy a service manual?
4. What else are these bikes known for having go wrong? I've heard the drive belts for starters but is there anything else I need to look into before committing?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Probably $ 500 or less. The problem is ,it's old, it has chain for the front drive system,You'll have to look into bearings, if the front carrier isn't broken.
As far as the master cylinder goes,If you can't rebuiold yours, you can get a new style updated one to fit.
I'd look at the Shafts on the transmission, to check for play, you may only need a linkage adjustment , but still.
Haynes manuals seem to be easier to read.
It does seem that you have to rev the two strokes up a bit to get rolling, but then you may just need a new belt or a front clutch cleaning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts