Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any places out there that are reputable that will rebuild a carb off of Polaris Hawkeye? I talked to two dealers in the KC area and neither can give me a price on a rebuild. They both quote hourly wages of greater than $60 plus any addtioanl parts that "may be needed". When I asked if there is a worst case scenario regarding the cost neither one would give me an answer. I also asked if I could bring in the carb for an estimate and they both advised that there would be a labor charge for an estimate again referring to the 60.00 per hour figure. I have never been so distressed with any type dealer as I am with Polaris. They have few if any customer service skills.

PS I am not a young man and certainly not used to this type of behaviour from a dealer. I can assure you I will buy a honda or yamaha in the near future.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:star: And good luck Honda and Yamaha not doing the same!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
you may want to try a shop that repairs small engines(lawnmwers weedeaters). though their labor rate may be about the same. good luck

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i am a young man as well, at least i hope im still classified as such (28)

i would suggest you rebuild it yourself. buy a rebuild kit for $30max and spend a couple hours learning about your machine. trust me, you'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
hourly wages is how dealers operate. usually it takes an hour to rebuild a carb. Problem is, there are so many variables and the different conditions the carb can be in internally that it is in fact impossible to really give a reliable quote. Worst cast scenerio, you have to buy a new carb ($400). Dealers get burned left and right by quoting, so many just wont anymore.

If your are good with machines, as cookie suggested, you should be able to get a basic rebuild kit for around $30. You can get a repair manual for around another $30, take your time, and learn about the machine. It is usually not too hard to do.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
try manufacterers supply online

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put a new carb on my 2007 Hawkeye that was letting gas run by and filling my crankcase with gas ?
The new one does the same thing ? Could it be something else ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are there any places out there that are reputable that will rebuild a carb off of Polaris Hawkeye? I talked to two dealers in the KC area and neither can give me a price on a rebuild. They both quote hourly wages of greater than $60 plus any addtioanl parts that "may be needed". When I asked if there is a worst case scenario regarding the cost neither one would give me an answer. I also asked if I could bring in the carb for an estimate and they both advised that there would be a labor charge for an estimate again referring to the 60.00 per hour figure. I have never been so distressed with any type dealer as I am with Polaris. They have few if any customer service skills.

PS I am not a young man and certainly not used to this type of behaviour from a dealer. I can assure you I will buy a honda or yamaha in the near future.
More than likely you can find a Shindy rebuild kit on ebay for between $16 and $20....shipped. You should be able to find a manual here for $5. https://www.tradebit.com/G/manuals/14-atv
Many shops charge about three hours labor, plus parts, and the price goes up from there. You can do it yourself for under $30....and have a manual for future use. And as others mentioned, price can depend on how "trashed" the carb is...internal corrosion being one of the largest factors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts