Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, It's a new-b question but then again, I'm a new-b. It's my 1st quad of my own...it's old and I want to keep it running as long as possible.

I just want to be sure I do things right.

So far I plan to cut the gas line (there is a switch on the left side) and let it run till it stops on its own (so fuel doesn't sit in the carb and ruin it).

Do I need to add stabilizer to the gas tank ? If so what is the gas tank capacity when full so I can calculate the mix ratio (it's half full now).

Then I planned to remove the battery.

I plan on making my quad sleep from December till april. It will overwinter Under a shelter (no snow on it and no tarp over it so good air circulation. (I'm located in Québec, Canada and can expect a "vermont-like" winter)

Thanks for your help

Yann

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you are going to drain the carb why not just drain the tank as well. I would not do either. sometimes allowing the the gaskets and seals to dry out is just as bad and letting the tarnish build up.

I would fill the tank to prevent condensation, add a fuel stabilizer and run the machine to make sure it gets in all the lines and carb.

Charge that battery before you pull it, and then keep it warm. Top off the rest of the fluids. Wrap you baby up nice and tight. In the spring check it out good to make sure no small rodents have turned it into a condo, and feasted on your seat cushion and wires all winter long.

You know these things are a blast to ride in the snow! I ride 12 months out of the year. A lot more fun than winterizing it and watching the snow pile up on it all winter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Starrider :)

ok so if I get you right I should not cut the gas to drain the carb... I should just use stabilized treated gasoline and keep a full tank.

I planned to keep the battery on a trickle charger all winter (and alternate it with the boat's batt) in the basement. Not toasty but not cold either.

Anything else I should worry about ? Rodents shouldn't pause a problem but then again... I'll kep an eye out.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks Starrider :)

ok so if I get you right I should not cut the gas to drain the carb... I should just use stabilized treated gasoline and keep a full tank.

I planned to keep the battery on a trickle charger all winter (and alternate it with the boat's batt) in the basement. Not toasty but not cold either.

Anything else I should worry about ? Rodents shouldn't pause a problem but then again... I'll kep an eye out.
The stabilizer should prevent any issues and keeps the gas usable for months.
I would get a battery tender instead of a trickle charger for the batteries. you can pick one up for 31 to 39 bucks.

I keep the stabilizer in all my small engines during the winter and have never had a problem, mower, snow blower, generator and even my 550. Although the 550 never sits for more than two weeks at a time during the winter. I use it to plow and then always have to take it for a ride in the fresh powder.

Maybe some others will chime in that drain their machines and let us know how it works out for them.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I keep a full tank and use seafoam the last time I ride it so its in every place and yes take battery out or leave it in but put a battery tender on it
grease everything to get any water out

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with above, always a full tank, always with seafoam.

I usually run seafoam all year round in my gas, I hit mud holes and rain from time to time, I never worry about a little water getting in the gas this way, and everything stays nice and clean.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Another thing that you may want to consider is pulling all the tires and letting the suspension hang free to keep it from being compressed for 4 months. I'd put the tires in the same location as the battery also.

As far as rodents, you'd be surprised where they might nest. Over the summer, I acquired a 96 Sportsman 400 that had very minimal use over the last 5 years and they made a small city inside the clutch cover. I have no idea how they got in as both the top and bottom ducts were completely intact and so was the inner clutch seal that is held in place with the retaining ring! The good thing was they never chewed any wiring!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts