Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97' sportsman 500 4x4..I broke the rear axle and I can get 2 axles out of a 02'

Will they fit? Like dead on .or do I have to stay with original style..

The rear diff is out of a 2001

Any help would be great thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,084 Posts
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

The real shortage in this country is common sense.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
01 and 02 used the same axles - and BTW the rear is a live drive and not a differential - the wheels turn together

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
37 Posts
Im new, I’ve been in a few forums and discussions, latebird knows what he’s talking about. Id take his advice

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
My axles look different though?
Just like a Harley - owners want to 'UPDATE' and 'IMPROVE' their machines and being cheap, they try to make improvements by spending as little as possible. I do not know the history of your vehicle and it's doubtful you do either. At least you are aware that it has a 2001 transmission in a 97 frame - that's more than most owners know. I know that the 01 and the 02 500 Sportsman used the same rear axles, but what brand of axles are in the 01 and what brand axles for the 02 you found is a total unknown for me and probably mostly unknown to you. Are the installed axles Polaris, EPI, Rhino, Firepower, Bike Master or an unbranded Chinese counterfeit? Are the 02 axles Polaris, EPI........... (same question)

If the axles match each other and the fitment is guaranteed, then go for it. Personally, I buy new over used and I document the parts used if not Polaris brand (which BTW is Neapco). One of the reasons I buy few used vehicles is the lack of documentation. First and foremost is the owners manual - if the seller does not have the owners manual, I drop the asking price by half and if they don't have the tool kit that came with it, I drop my offer by 1/2 again. Then if the seller starts telling me about all the IMPROVEMENTS and modifications he's made, I walk away. I don't need a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62,63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68.............. Cadillac with a 60 pound title.

I guess I just got a bad attitude, but it has saved me countless headaches.

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
37 Posts
60 lb title haha, I got mine from a cop who lives around the corner from me, 5 years ago i took a nasty fall about 18’ off a ladder and shattered my pelvis and several discs in back, im good but the he was waiting for me to get to my house bc I wasn’t leaving my truck n tools in the area it was in , he yelled at me for driving and that started a pretty cool friendship, never got pulled over etc. he saw my 450s foreman n sais, “ you want a 97 polaris “ me-“sure” I have title, registration, service records, tool kit, lotsa police issued zip ties lol and no manual. His asking price for me is 1000$…whenever I feel like giving it to him. So a u joint, 2 mounts and a belt n axle stub it’s looking is needed for road/trail readiness.
I like the thinking tho about how you buy your machines, good method

1 - 7 of 7 Posts