Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 700 sportsmans. We treid to start it after sitting all winter. We had a trickle charge on it and it almost started. When it wouldnt start we tried to boost it and had a few sparks from the battery. Still wont start now. And have no power at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
IS it turning over and your not getting a spark. or not turning over at all. if its not turning over at all do a load test on your battery to see if its any good. take it to auto zone or napa they test for free. also ceck your battery connections for tightness and corrosion.

·
Registered
517 Posts
welcome to the site!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did all that. We have absolutly no power to anything. We even tried a new battery. Still no power getting to the ignition. Put new fuses in also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When you turn the key, do you have lights? The first thing to try is the slide switch on the left handlebar, the one that is on in the middle and off on both sides. It can get a little corroded in there, and if it's not in exactly the right spot, sometimes it won't work. Learned that one the hard way too..

You can try to lay a screwdriver across both terminals on the solenoid, but do it quickly and barely, to see if it will try to start. If it does:

Get a test light. Make sure you are getting power to from the solenoid to the battery. Did you replace the circuit breaker underneath the front cover? ( I'm assuming the 700 is similar to the 500). If so, see if you are getting power not only to it, but out of it. If you haven't, and are getting power to that breaker when you turn on the switch, you know the switch is good...if you're not getting it in and out of the breaker, the breaker is bad. You can buy them at an autoparts store, just take it with you.

If that doesn't work, see if you are getting power from the out on that breaker, to the solenoid. Hopefully you are if you replaced the breaker and the switch is good...if you get power all the way to the solenoid, and from the battery to the solenoid, and it won't jump by laying a screwdriver across both terminals of the solenoid, chances are your solenoid is bad. You can also buy them at the auto parts store, WAY cheaper.

If you have to replace the solenoid, make sure you keep track of all the wiring and where it goes. Also, you have to mount the solenoid to the battery base for it to be grounded..the solenoid will not work if its not...learned that on the hard way too.

I hope this helps..I know it's wordy, but we had a similar problem two weeks ago, and noone was really able to help us and we figured it out as we went along, kinda like this post....lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. After struggling with this machine for days on end it seems that the battery was cooked. Bought a new one and it fired right up. Thank god we didnt have to do all the extra work to get it running. We are happy quaders now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts