Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searches to no avail. I have my 2006 500x2 stripped down to the frame...except for the front different and axles. I am going to have the frame sandblasted and powdercoated, but I cannot get the front axles out of the diff. I have soaked both sides in break free for 4 days now. I have tried using a small pry bar, but I do not want damage the diff. The stock axles are in perfect shape after 7800 miles, as such I do not want to damage them. I have seen a few videos on YouTube about getting the axles out, but in those cases they took the axle apart to use a slap hammer with a washer in the stub as they were replacing broken axles so it really did not matter. Does anyone have a way to get them out without having to take them apart? At this point I am open to suggestions as this is the only part I have left to take the parts to the powdercoater. I am sure that that there is some corrosion in there on the splines and that they are just stuck, but my frustration level is mounting at this point...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you can put a pry bar or two in between the diff and axle. Just hold pressure on it don't pry real hard. Then have a friend grab the axle bar and push it towards the diff. Then pull out quickly on the axle bar. This usually gets it out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I have a slide hammer with a piece of chain that I put around the inner cup, tighten chain on cup with a bolt then give them three or four good wacks and they usually come out, sometimes have to get buddy on a pry bar then use the slide hammer, some can be really stuck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think mine are pretty well stuck. I do not go mudding as in looking for mud to play in, but when riding around the ranch there are several small creeks that I will have to go through, especially if we have received a good rain. I am going to try both methods this evening after work and then start bagging and labeling the various bolts that I took out and then screwed back into frame once the piece was removed. That is the easiest way that I have found to keep track of various bolts, but while being sandblasted and powder coated they all have to come out. I must have 100+ pictures on my phone to help put it all back together once I have powder coated parts back. It is really not very complicated, but there are a lot of nuts and bolts to keep track of!

Thanks for the tips guys, I will see what I can get done tonight.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
A slide hammer works best....i tried for a day trying to get mine off...did not want to pry to hard ..feared cracking the case....I then rented a slide hammer from advanced auto...took a 3 1/2 muffler clam...put it over the rear cup....before I put the bottom clamp on i used a 2 foot chain on the studs of clamp (make a loop)..then clamped it tight...used the hook attachment on the slide puller on the chain.....1 big slide and it came off like butter....

ps the slide puller to rent is free..you just leave a deposit and get it back when u return it

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions! A slide hammer and small chain worked great. Tied it to the truck with a ratchet strap and a few good whacks on each side did it. Frame, sub frame, bed frame and a-arms are sitting in back of the truck to go to powder coater in the morning. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts