Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

We've in the midst of our first heavy snow storm and I went out to the garage to look over the atv before I would use it for plowing and it's stuck in reverse. I can't shift into any other gears.

Last time I used it was last week and it was fine.

Any idea what can cause this?

it's a 2006 Sportsman 800.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Water in the transmission...heat it up, drain and change it a couple time, driving it a little between.

Just my 2¢...

Sean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Boburk,
I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Sean, That worked. I let it warm up real nice and then it shifted through the gears smooth. I will get the fluid drained out a few times. I've never experienced this as this is the first time I'm using it in the winter.

Again Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks so much Sean, That worked. I let it warm up real nice and then it shifted through the gears smooth. I will get the fluid drained out a few times. I've never experienced this as this is the first time I'm using it in the winter.

The engine/exhaust heat melted the in the gear selector box I expect and the transmission should be fine unless you take the ATV swimming a lot. :)

Take some blue shop towels, etc and get the water/oil out of the shifter box and refill with motor oil. Our Magnum calls for 1 oz. If you find your shifter boot is torn then you know why there is water in the shifter box by your right knee.

Until you get it done just start the engine or use a heat gun on the aluminum shifter box for a minute to melt the ice.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. It is not uncommon for water to get in them. I get a little in mine. I think it is from condensation (get it good and hot then run through the river).

Sean

·
8,738 Posts

The engine/exhaust heat melted the in the gear selector box I expect and the transmission should be fine unless you take the ATV swimming a lot. :)

Take some blue shop towels, etc and get the water/oil out of the shifter box and refill with motor oil. Our Magnum calls for 1 oz. If you find your shifter boot is torn then you know why there is water in the shifter box by your right knee.

Until you get it done just start the engine or use a heat gun on the aluminum shifter box for a minute to melt the ice.
A 2006 800 don't have a shifter box.

·
Registered
526 Posts

A 2006 800 don't have a shifter box.
Thanks. I should have been reading and not typing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Polman500, I didn't think mine had one, so I went through the service manual to make sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts