Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 trailblazer 250. I just rebuilt my starter and tested out of the wheeler, it works fine. I have a new battery fully charged and all connections are clean and tight. Battery cable connected to the top right of solenoid, starter cable lower left. I have the starter laying on a bucket because I want to make sure everything works before completing the re-install. When I hit the start button the solenoid "clicks" but the starter does nothing.
A.do I need to have the starter grounded for this "test" to work?
B. can you test the solenoid with a simple light tester by touching the starter side of the solenoid while depressing the start button?
I do not have a meter type tester and I'm not sure I would know how to use or what I would be looking for on it anyway.
This is a project and it came to me in pieces....i'm slowly fixing and re-assembling things. I just had it bored out and a new piston installed and I'm anxious to get it turning over.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yes, you can ground the starter using a jumper cable to the frame or the negative side of the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, after thinkin about it for a while that's what I did. I grounded the starter using jumper cables and it did spin!! What a relief I was hoping I didn't need ANOTHER part before I could try to fire it up. The re-install is complete and it turns the motor over like a champ, and I got spark!!! that was the next worry..... Tommorow I put the gas tank back on and try to get it fired up. Thanks all.
Tricky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts