Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I'm new here and have run into a problem with my ATV. I let a friend ride my scrambler and he said he stopped it and shifted into neutral. He claims that when he did, the motor reved up wide open and wouldn't go back down to idle. He said he hit the kill switch and turned the key off and it stayed wound up. He touched the throttle and it then bogged down and shut off. I haven't been able to start it since. The solenoid is clicking (which may or may not be related) and my pull string is broken but I'm in the process of fixing that. My only idea is that something got stuck in the carburetor to make it stay wound up like it did. The ATV hadn't been started in about six months so maybe the gas in the carb had junk in it. Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this? Or anything similar? And this is all according to my friend. I was not there. So any ideas would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it went as your friend said, I would be looking at the slide in the carb. When you take the air cleaner off to get to the carb, but with the carb still attached to the engine, watch the slide inside the carb while you move the thumb throttle. Should move up when you hit the throttle. Release throttle and slide should drop back down quickly. I would look at either dirty carb and maybe thottle cable needs adjusted/lubed. Cable can also get kinked causing slide to stick open. Then there is also the switch inside the throttle assembly box mounted on top the right handlebar. The switch is supposed to kill engine if the thottle sticks wide open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts