Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a "whining" noise coming from the clutch cover on my wife's '06 Polaris Hawkeye 300 (2x4). I have recently changed the belt on it because I thought maybe the belt was rubbing, but that's not the case. There are no marks on the inside of the clutch cover to show that the old belt was rubbing anywhere. I cleaned all the dirt out of the cover, but didn't clean out the clutches. The noise is almost a grinding noise that can be heard when I push on the throttle and then let off. When I let off the throttle, the noise fades away and then can't be heard when it is at idle. I THINK (if I remember correctly) that it would even make the noise when it was in gear OR even if it was in neutral. It has been awhile since I have looked at it, but I don't think it made the noise when I had the clutch cover off. Anyone have any ideas because its driving me crazy. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I want to say I read somewhere that there is a bearing on the clutch cover that could go bad... I haven't taken my cover off yet (will be Saturday) to confirm or deny this. the first thing I would do is take the cover back off and see if it makes the noise. if it does try to locate the noise with the cover off. If it doesn't inspect the cover.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ThorsHammer, but I am pretty sure there is no bearing in my clutch cover. It is a solid piece. Is there a bearing or even a bushing behind the clutch that might need replaced? How can I tell if it is a bad bushing? Does it make a noise? I started it last night and it DOES make the sound in neutral... I don't know if this little piece of information will help with anything or not. I still can't remember if it made the noise without the clutch cover on it. Any one else have any more input or ideas for me to try? Here is a link to the sound that it is making.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
ok, you know it makes the noise in neutral, and with the clutch cover on. Now take the clutch cover off and try again to get it to make the noise. if it's still making the noise you know it's in the clutches somewhere, and having the cover off will help you determine which one. if it stops you know something is interfering with the clutch cover some how. It's all about eliminating the variables at this point to pin point the problem. like I said, I'll have my clutch cover off this weekend so I'll let you know if I find anything in there that could be making that noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate your help with this and everything you said makes sense. I will tear her apart this weekend and see what I come up with. If you come up with anything this weekend, I'd love to hear about it also. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
will do. like I said, mine isn't making the noise so I Might not be much help but I'll let you know if I find anything that I think could be making the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update... I was able to fix the whining coming from the clutch cover. It was, in fact, the bearing inside the clutch cover. It was rather easy to replace and makes all the difference in the world. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, I took a picture of the bearing in my clutch cover that I was going to show you. Glad you were able to get her done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts