Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imma try to explaine this from the start LOL

ok so i was riding my 99 scrambler 400 4x4 around when out of nowhere i herd some kinda noise like something being torn up in a fan or something the atv stalls and when i try to start it it just Clanks. and stops. ie its dead locked. pull start stuck as well. so i rip the side cover off thinking something got jammed in the belt. but found nothing. after forcing the pully/clutch outside to spin by hand a few times "and some hammering " filially it seems like it released and it started back up. issue is it runs hard. still feels like theres major sticking by the clutches ie.. if u keep it reved high it will stay started. often u need the choke on tho or it stalls right out. i've been trying to figure out whats wrong i know the starter was starting to go cause it would whine bad. i had thought maybe the starter bendix had ripped off inside and caused some sort of damage but i am unsure. i just know it runs ruff and won't go over maybe 15mph. when trying to move the clutches it still seems like its stuck or too tight to spin. i'm not sure where to go from here. ie it rubs in cirten spots. mind u the engines not seised. no smoke. no clanking when its running. rings seem fine. anyone have this issue before? im not sure what to go about replacing? the issue is very confusing. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
sounds almost like the piston came apart. did you try letting it run without the belt on ,just in case it was something in the transmission,or rear clutch.try taking the rope starter cover off and look at that as well ,in case the starter drive did come apart and a piece of it is not in the flywheel

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for welcoming me :)

i pulled the pull start off today there is some matel shavings in there. the bindex is off the flywheel its draging on it. it seems theres no rubbing spot in the pully like i thought. once i got the bendix loose a bit off the flywhell the pully turns fine. no rubbing nothing. can't get the flywheel off tho to fix the bindex and starter. think its just a starter issue? i mean it started up fine at times. but couldn't drive it much i'd asume the bendix rubbing off the flywheel played a part?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts