Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my 2004 sportsman 400. It will crank fine and run great for about 3 min. or so and shut off as if it is starving for fuel.Here are the things i have done so far-taken the carb off twice cleaned all jets made sure there is nothing clogged up blew it all out made it shine, put brand new fuel pump on it, cleaned tank and blew out all of the fuel lines everything is flowing fine to carb. I am wondering if the needle maybe sticking in carb. When i had it apart it seemed fine but im at a loss. I would appreciate any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I kinda agree with you about the needle sticking,you don't sound 100% sure.I would double check your float,remove it and give it a shake and then remove needle,make sure passage is clear,i know you said you did this,just be 100%.then take needle not connected to float and check it real close for varnish or gumming,clean it if need be then slide it up down in bore.If float and needle are 100% you should be getting the right amount of fuel in bowl.Just a thought,hope it helps a little.Good luck

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
when it dies, do you physically try draining the fuel bowl just to see that it does in fact run out of fuel. Just in case you have another issue-losing spark.
Carb. and fuel tank vented ok? could try leaving the gas cap a lil loose and see what that does.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i loosened drain screw on the bottom of bowl when it died and it does have fuel in the bowl so the needle must not be sticking. I already tried leaving the cap off and have blown out all of the vent tubes and i have taken spark plug out and it has a strong spark but it maybe a spark our electrical issue. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts