Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2004 sportsman 500ho. Its hard to steer and seems to be stuck in awd. No indicator light is on. I tried backing it up but no luck. I put the rear up on jack stands and the front tires pulled the atv off the stands. Everything I looked up on the net says it's the squirrel cage. I took it to a local dealer and they don't want to entertain that idea but also don't know what's wrong with it. Can anyone help?
Thank you

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If it has Centralized front diff its probably a broken cage, can get replacement parts cheaper thru john deer or buy a billet cage from super atv.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Russ. I believe it is. Do you happen to know the part numbers for those parts? Do you know anyone that had this problem and maybe how hard it is to change the cage.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is a RZR, but it's the same, it's not to bad.. Get the aluminum cage if you replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I will look it up. Does this problem sound like that's the issue. I don't get why the dealer won't look into it. I'm ready to go get it back from dealer and try it myself.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Could be, my son in law's was just the opposite, had no front drive at any time, but if the broken pieces are jammed it could keep the front drive engaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I have never had something like this happen before and to have a dealer tell me they don't know has me a little mad.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1, you need to find a better dealer.

2, Never be affraid to work on your own equipment. It can usually be done with the minimum of readily available hand tools. If you have to force something, stop. Figure out why you need to force it. Either you're doing it wrong, or something is not right. granted, somethings like half shafts will get pretty stuck on at times, but using the proper procedures, and the proper application of minimal force should be able to free up most anything without causing more damage.

as for your problem, it's definately in the front dif, so it sounds like an investigatory tear down is in order. regardless of what the dealer thinks. More than likely, they just don't want to deal with the hassle of it. not that it's a hassle to do, but that it takes time and they want the easy fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your help. I still wish I could find someone with this similar problem. I'm going to try and get the atv back from the dealer tomorrow and either find time and take it apart myself or take it to another dealer I guess.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Don't be afraid, it is not that hard. You will be fine. Its best if you take your phone and take a ton of pictures to refer to when putting back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts