Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help and want answers from someone besides a salesman, this seems to be the place.

My situation...
I want a Ranger capable of towing between 2 and 6 people up and down logging roads in the mountains of North Carolina. I will mostly be hauling my wife and 2 kids (7 and 6). At most we will be encountering 20 to 30 degree angles in a few places. I don't want to risk flipping with my kids and also want enough power to handle these conditions. Roads are dirt (not even gravel) although I might throw some crush and run down and have it spread if that helps.

My Questions Are
1.) What angle is safe if the rd i mud?
2.) What angle is safe if the rd is gravel/crush n run? Does gravel help?
3.) How easily do these things flip back?
4.) Does a rear engine increase the likleyhood these will flip?
5.) What Ranger Crew Model can i get by with? I would like a used, but the dealer says the new 570's have as much hp as the old 800's? (50)
-Ranger Crew 500
-Ranger Crew 570
-Ranger Crew 800
6.) How important is power steering?
7.) Do the crews bottom out because they are so long?

Thanks, i appreciate any and all help more than you know. Thanks

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I prefer ranger Rick, But Forest Ranger Dan is cool too...

I highly doubt you'll get a Ranger Crew to do a back flip. With that long of a wheel base and the engine and passengers in front of the rear axles it would take a hell of a lot of traction and power to lift and flip without being able to correct it by just letting off the gas.

You'll have more likelihood of high centering, but if you keep the ruts maintained you should be ok.

Used is usually cheaper, but you've got no guarantees with the maintenance/treatment of the machine. New you've got warranty and you know exactly how it's been maintained/treated.

if you were given the option of a car with or without power steering. Which would you take? More importantly, which would your wife pick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about Ranger Smith from Yogi? :cowboy:

Big thanks for your time. I was most concerned about flipping. Good deal.

What about the models? They have new 2014 570s with power steering for around 12k

Should i stay away from the 500's?

More importantly whats appropriate horesepower.

Would i be wise to put down crush n run?

·
Registered
852 Posts
you might get better answers from one of the ranger forums then the ATV forums.

i have never driven a crew. but I do have a standard.

not sure about the angle. the owners manual will say 15 percent for a side hill. i'd say anything more then 20 starts getting uncomfortable. if you can try to stay relatively flat.

the crews don't tend to back flip. the long wheelbase helps prevent this. if a crew flips over it's usually to the side.

500 and 570 only seat 4. 800 seats 6. also 500/570 are about 52" wide. and 800 would be 60" if you don't need to seat 6 i'd say go for the 570. great engine. updated drive line. decent power.

power steering is nice. but at least IMO it's not necessary all the time. when moving the Ranger is pretty easy to turn without it.
a crews break over angle is worse then a standards so you can get hung up a bit easier. you can fix this by lifting it a bit though mostly just avoid rocks and stumps and fallen trees and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
500 and 570 only seat 4. 800 seats 6. also 500/570 are about 52" wide. and 800 would be 60" if you don't need to seat 6 i'd say go for the 570. great engine. updated driveline. decent power.
I can get by with 4 seats then. So the 570 is pretty good?

Funny note. I was looking at John Deer Gator in this price range, and almost bought 1 until the dealer told me it only had 18 hp and couldn't even pull itself out of it's own tracks. Newer ones aren't like that i think, but the older ones only have 18hp

OK, ill wait for other people to weigh in too. Looks like a 570 is what im getting at the moment. Thanks Scott6by :)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you don't need to carry 6, get the narrower model you'll get into more place and be more maneuverable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't need to carry 6, get the narrower model you'll get into more place and be more maneuverable.
Which is the narrower? o the 570, just reread. OK 52" wide vs 60" on the 800's.

In regards to warranty they only have a 6 mo warranty

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you can purchase an extended warranty. But still. 6 months is better than 0 months.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
500 and 570 only seat 4. 800 seats 6. also 500/570 are about 52" wide. and 800 would be 60" if you don't need to seat 6 i'd say go for the 570. great engine. updated driveline. decent power.
I can get by with 4 seats then. So the 570 is pretty good?

Funny note. I was looking at John Deer Gator in this price range, and almost bought 1 until the dealer told me it only had 18 hp and couldn't even pull itself out of it's own tracks. Newer ones aren't like that i think, but the older ones only have 18hp

OK, ill wait for other people to weigh in too. Looks like a 570 is what im getting at the moment. Thanks Scott6by :)
was that a 550 S4 wasn't it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just got a 570 LE in December, not a crew, but hopefully my input will have value. The 570 is the better model to get, it has updated running gear, the engine is moved to the rear and a longer wheelbase. The ride is amazingly good and it climbs out of ravines like a goat; superior suspension articulation, especially in the back make it very stable. I have had mine on a side hill that was very iffy for me. I thought it might go, but it didn't. I don't know the angle, but me and my passenger were ready to bail if it started to go, apparently we worried for no reason, once it make the side hill once, I traversed it several more times that day without incident. I like the power of the 570, plenty of getty-up on my 2-seater. From what I understand reading on Ranger forums, engine maintenance is much easier on the 570, over the 500 anyway, because the 570 doesn't have an exterior oil tank like the 500. All the oil is in the engine, pull the drain plug and refill, no problems. The 4-valve engine breaths well and gets up and goes when you want it to. I have changed to 26" tires on 14" wheels without any apparent loss of power. I have power steering and love it. I can spin the wheel with one hand like a school bus driver. One thing that struck me, this being my first UTV, was the very slow steering ratio, you really have to spin that wheel to get it turning, it's more noticeable in the slower, more technical stuff, but feels great at speed on a fire road.

All-in-all I'm very satisfied with my 570 LE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
was that a 550 S4 wasn't it?
It sure was. You can get a used 2012 550 S4 Gator mith a few dozen hours for $10k or so. If you want something similar to the ranger you are going to have pay around 18k. 15k for the side by side. :hmmm:

While base on a new Ranger Crew 570 is $10k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a 570 LE in December, not a crew, but hopefully my input will have value. The 570 is the better model to get, it has updated running gear, the engine is moved to the rear and a longer wheelbase. The ride is amazingly good and it climbs out of ravines like a goat; superior suspension articulation, especially in the back make it very stable. I have had mine on a side hill that was very iffy for me. I thought it might go, but it didn't. I don't know the angle, but me and my passenger were ready to bail if it started to go, apparently we worried for no reason, once it make the side hill once, I traversed it several more times that day without incident. I like the power of the 570, plenty of getty-up on my 2-seater. From what I understand reading on Ranger forums, engine maintenance is much easier on the 570, over the 500 anyway, because the 570 doesn't have an exterior oil tank like the 500. All the oil is in the engine, pull the drain plug and refill, no problems. The 4-valve engine breaths well and gets up and goes when you want it to. I have changed to 26" tires on 14" wheels without any apparent loss of power. I have power steering and love it. I can spin the wheel with one hand like a school bus driver. One thing that struck me, this being my first UTV, was the very slow steering ratio, you really have to spin that wheel to get it turning, it's more noticeable in the slower, more technical stuff, but feels great at speed on a fire road.

All-in-all I'm very satisfied with my 570 LE.
Most helpful insight yet. Big thanks to LouisianaXCRacer

·
Registered
815 Posts
Go for the big dog 900 crew!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go for the big dog 900 crew!

I just can't justify buying that, but wow that's got me drueling :hail:

Pretty sure im getting the 570 EPS BURGUNDY METALLIC LE, so long as that 40hp has enough power to pull me and the family around and up and down logging roads.

·
Registered
815 Posts
that 570 is a quick little guy. Never been in the crew version though. I would bet its much more than enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts