Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have some questions about the Polaris "ATV" style 6x6.

1: What year did they change from chain drive to shaft?

2: What year did the cargo box change to plastic?

3: Also, What would be the suggested model to purchase? Big Boss 500?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Was also wondering if they came with or had a kit for a hydraulic or elec/actuator dump? For the cargo box?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump......

·
Registered
44 Posts
2009 changed to shaft drive 800 only. not sure on the box some were around 2005.
no hydro lift offered just gas strut. 500 better on fuel do not ride as well and need attention payed to the drive chains regularly and are lighter.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If i remember right 98 is the last year of the full metal box.

99 and on appear to have plastic boxes. might have a metal floor though. IDK

they went to driveshafts when the whole ATV lineup was redsigned and Big Boss joined the Value lineup

really can't go wrong with any of these. they're all little pack mules if you need the added utility and towing XD

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Soooo...What year exactly did they go from chain to shaft? Sorry...I didn't mention that I was only wondering about the 500's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a 500 in 1998 and ran it for 13 years and had a couple of chain problems. I bought a new 2011 and already replaced a clutch bearing. But, I actually prefer the old 500's metal rack and box as I could weld on them, I don't miss the chains. The 800 is a beast and has no problem turning 6 of those 26" Mud Lite XL tires. If it was not for the chains I could easily go back to a 500 Big Boss as it does not have all the battery draining crap on it and had a pull start. I carry an extra battery for the 2011 Big Boss. Put the new 570 engine and tranny in a Big Boss and I will buy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think now that in 2015 BRP iwill have a 6x6 Polaris will up their game. Would like to see 570 and 850 xp based 6x6. Under 1000 lbs would be great.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would love a 570 Sportsman 6x6 as well :D

well it took em 30 years XD, I do find this odd that they are releasing a 6x6 model now of all times what with the massive UTV market. I wonder how it stacks up with a Big Boss. probably costs an arm and a leg... Big boss is 9,999 and the Can Am 1000 is about the same price :| now add an extra axle and a cargo box I wouldn't be shocked if 13'000 was the price on that bad boy! you can get a base Ranger 900 for that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts