Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a clutched 05 800, Intake and exhaust.
2" high lifter kit

Currently have 27 XTR's

I need to come up with more clearance.. Got stuck 4 times to the point i was layed out on frame and no chance, 3500lb winch barley got me out.

Thinking of going to a 29.5 Law, and a Silverback. And keeping the XTR for trail ridding and these just for sand and mudding.

Will this machine be able to turn the 32's in low gear enough to get me through the mud?

Anyone else have any input?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Remember for every inch larger you go, you only gain 1/2 more clearance. That is unless you modify the suspension and lift the frame.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont mind spending the money on the custom lift. But i heard with 6" lift you have to be careful driving fast axles will get to hot and go bad quickly? I was going to order 32 silver backs today. And found out i need a forward a arm kit? And they dont make them anymore?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Contact southern mud junkies in the xp link above and pm him. He will answer all your questions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remember for every inch larger you go, you only gain 1/2 more clearance. That is unless you modify the suspension and lift the frame.
Thanks for mentioning it. Even though i did know it already i'm sure some people do not :)

Thats why i wanted to go with the 32 Silverbacks. 2.5" more of clearance! Plus a better mud tire than my xtr!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks for mentioning it. Even though i did know it already i'm sure some people do not :)

Thats why i wanted to go with the 32 Silverbacks. 2.5" more of clearance! Plus a better mud tire than my xtr!
Well that is kind of my point. Even with 2.5 inches of additional clearance you will probably still bottom out in the same mud hole. No matter how good the tire is, a machine this size does have limitations. Take a tape measure, look at how small 2.5 inches actually is. Then ask your self, considering the added weight to the machine and all the expense that goes with it. Is that 2.5 inches going to produce the results you are looking for? Or is the machine with the added weight now just going to sink faster and deeper into the mud.

You must also consider the weight and suction created by the mud itself. At what point do you just except the limitations of your machine and enjoy it the way it is?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I dont mind spending the money on the custom lift. But i heard with 6" lift you have to be careful driving fast axles will get to hot and go bad quickly? I was going to order 32 silver backs today. And found out i need a forward a arm kit? And they dont make them anymore?
When lifting an atv you put the axles at a greater angle. The increased angles and high speeds have been known to heat up the CV boots, causing them to tear, or in some cases even burst. So, high speed for short lengths, or high speed in water, you will have no problems. High speed for long periods of time with no rest time, or time in the water to cool them off, you may have issues. You will need forward a-arms in order to clear the 32's. Forward a-arms for the 800 are no longer an item that is mass produced and stored on the shelf, but it is still an item that you can get. Any custom fab shop will make them for you. I suggest calling outkast faberworks, backwoods armor, CATVOS, and S3 powersports. See which ones will make them for you and then pick the best price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well that is kind of my point. Even with 2.5 inches of additional clearance you will probably still bottom out in the same mud hole. No matter how good the tire is, a machine this size does have limitations. Take a tape measure, look at how small 2.5 inches actually is. Then ask your self, considering the added weight to the machine and all the expense that goes with it. Is that 2.5 inches going to produce the results you are looking for? Or is the machine with the added weight now just going to sink faster and deeper into the mud.

You must also consider the weight and suction created by the mud itself. At what point do you just except the limitations of your machine and enjoy it the way it is?

When im not getting towed out by a brute force that just went through same spot :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts