Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have or could take a picture from the top view of the seat that is "Kit B" from Thor with it installed?

I am trying to see how much of the driver's seat the box/seat will cover.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I can take a pic sometime this weekend. But I want to ray roughly 6 inches.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have "Kit B"? If you could take a pic that would be great!

My daughter really wants to ride with me. I don't wanna get a new ATV, love how mine is set up. But if the seat sucks for the driver (6'2" 270lb) I will have figure something out.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Crap see you have a 500, the value lines rear rack is longer and you barely lose any seat space.

I should have a pic of mine on my 400 ho at home.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you could post it whenever is convenient that would be great. I don't wanna drop $350 to find out I'm uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Just realized Kit "B" is totally different than what I had Lol.

In any case I'll throw up some pics (mine I belive is a Tamarac according to some people)

Here's on my XP

It leaves some room, but it is a bit tight.

And here is on the VL 400.

It has alot larger rack, so therefor you can mount the seat further back.

My only advice would be get a kit that includes adjustable foot pegs. It keeps the rider from sliding out forwards into you.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Found this pic of the one you are talking about. It seems to be set quite far back, so you should fit easily.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I bought kit A. For the extra $30 its well worth it. I highly recommend kit A.
I'm 6ft $300lbs and have plenty of room with my 5'7" 130# wife behind me and even more with my 6yr old daughter.
The Tammarack Deluxe Lounger "Kit A" is a real quality box and very comfortable says my wife.
here are some pics installed on my 2012 sportsman 800.
I also have the foot peg kit installed.

And here is my 3yr old in the seat box and my 6yr old on the riders seat.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's for my 5yr old daughter. Does your 6 yr old seem to small for the seat? Read somewhere on here someone selling one because it was too big.

$30 diff isn't an issue. In Thor's video review Kit B is supposedly better for smaller riders, but the other kits better for larger drivers. I need both. Haha.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's for my 5yr old daughter. Does your 6 yr old seem to small for the seat? Read somewhere on here someone selling one because it was too big.

$30 diff isn't an issue. In Thor's video review Kit B is supposedly better for smaller riders, but the other kits better for larger drivers. I need both. Haha.
Its a little big but not an issue at all. She can hold onto the handles just fine. Also the seat cushion is thicker in the front than the back making the passenger stay in the seat better. The kit b box is a Wes box and later down the road it will become too small. Also its already to small for any adult rider. By small passenger they mean small like a 6yr old.
Go for the Kit A box you won't regret it. Also get it with the lock n ride kit. It makes it easy on and off for washing the machine or for those days you dont want the box on.

When installing the lock n ride mounts into the box only drill the holes just big enough for the bolt part of the mount to fit through. The best way to install it to be sure the mounts are in the correct location is to remove your rear rack.
I removed the rack.
Positioned the box where I wanted it on the rack.
ratchet strapped it to the rack.
flipped it upside down and marked the holes where the lock n ride mounts go.
then removed the box from the rack and drilled the 4 holes needed for the mounts with a bit only big enough for the bolt of the mount to go through.
Doing that will make it more water tight. I actually had to force the mount though the hole I drilled.
then assemble the mounts on the box.
Install your rack
and then your box.
once installed it only takes seconds to remove or install the box.
first installation should take about an hour.

Any questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dealer just called and said they are getting in the ever so elusive in my area white 570 Touring. 7750 OTD. Quoted me 8100 OTD for the 550XP Touring. Power steering would be nice, but I have no desire to deal with all the zerks, premature bushing wear and a motor that will be dropped quick. I don't wanna install and swap accessories if I get a 570 Touring. It all sucks.

If only I was rich and could buy it all...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don't think the 550 is going anywhere soon. Its made to fit on the XP frame and I guarantee you the 850 is going no where.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 550 is only made for one machine. All other motors are shared across platforms

Regardless, got until Mon to commit to the 570 Touring.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
IMO I would get the 570, if you can live without EPS.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keeping my 500. Paid for and like it. Just ordered "Kit A". I'm believing you guys that say I'll have no regrets. It was tough dropping $400 on something I can't try first!

·
Registered
361 Posts
You'll love it. If you feel the seat cushion is in your way when riding solo it is easily removed.
It's held in place by 3 plastic push pins.
I removed mine for my recent Hatfield McCoy Trails trip and just covered the holes in the box with electrical tape.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it installed. Fastest shipping ever. Ordered Mon night, box delivered Wed. I do live in same state boxes come from though. Lock and Ride mounts came Thur. Installed it last night.

So far everyone was right. Install was a snap. It's almost like the 11-13 Value line rear rack was made for it. Lines up perfectly. Doesn't take up much of the driver's saddle space. In my normal riding spot I can barely feel the box's cushion touching my back. As mentioned above, the box's bottom cushion pops out with three plastic plugs, so easily removable.

Box feels way more secure than the Polaris L&R I use to have that would bounce off while riding because it only had two L&R mounts. My daughter feels very secure, she looks so comfortable I am jealous.

I am not installing the brake light. It will make the box to difficult to remove. Post pics later.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can install the light and make it easy to remove the box. I used a 3 pin trailer wire harness and its quick and easy to disconnect. I'll take pics tonight so you can see how it's done.
only other thing is you will need a 4 pin relay setup to have the light work properly. I found a full write up on how to do it all and it was easy. Only took 20 minutes.
Here is the link to the wiring instructions.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-visual-body-modifications/36131-cargo-box-led-brake-running-lights-help-2.html
Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just ordered Kit "A" from Thor a few days ago and it's on its way. I also ordered the adjustable foot pegs so that when I do have a passenger they have something to support their feet instead of just dangling. Should make for a more comfortable ride for the passenger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts