Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I bought a new 2013 850 sportsman first week of October and every time I get the thing muddy, my rear tires go flat. They leak like crazy around the beads. If I break em down and clean out the beads it fixes it til I get in the mud again then it's the same thing all over again. I have the non eps model with the black steel wheels and maxxis stock rubber. Any suggestions? I'm thinkin maybe some tire slime in all 4 but that stuff is kinda messy next time ya break em down. Thanks!!! Ps they're a royal pain to break down off the beads lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to mention, I got a big hole in my right front last week, good ole cedar stick got it. Is there a good cheap place online to order tires from? Don't want anything elaborate just gotta have tread and hold air lol... Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've heard of a few guys having bead issues with the steel wheels on the XP's

Not sure if slime will hold it or not, but you may want to look into a decent set of aluminum wheels. STI HD3's come in the stock offset and have a lifetime warranty against damage/breaking.

cheap tires.... keep looking around on here, and maybe check ebay and craigslist. Guys sell them periodically. I will be selling mine when I can afford some better ones, after the taxes come back I guess.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
cheapest fix for you is to put tubes in. you're spinning the rims on the tires when they are buried in the mud and getting crud packed into the bead. The tubes will help hold the bead/tire in place and not lose air when you do pack them full of crap. and if you slime the tubes it's a lot less messy when you tear them down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the tube idea, at least that way I won't have to replace my tire with the plugs in it!! Lol all great ideas, thanks much guys! Here's a question y'all might know the answer to: I wouldn't mind gettin a set of the stock LE aluminum rims for it, is there a thread on here like a " for sale " thread where someone might post their wheels for sale because they went aftermarket? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think i'd try cleaning the beads again and correct amount of slime,plus running more air in the tires--10 lbs.or more..... Tubes are not a good idea on any off road machine. You ride thru a patch of thorns and they go flat pretty quick.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes I agree above about checking your tire pressure. How much are you running? Too low of pressure will allow that bead to flex much more. Stock tires have a very thin sidewall that flexes easily anyway.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I think i'd try cleaning the beads again and correct amount of slime,plus running more air in the tires--10 lbs.or more..... Tubes are not a good idea on any off road machine. You ride thru a patch of thorns and they go flat pretty quick.
Not everyone has large thorns to worry about. sticks sure, rocks definitely. But no large thorns out here to worry about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the delay folks, I was truckin lol I've been running the recommended 7 psi in all 4 since I got the bike. You think 10 would help? Also how much slime would you recommend? I'm thinking maybe a 12 ounce bottle divided evenly on all 4? Thanks a ton y'all, it's extremely frustrating to have a $10,000 brand new quad and have to air the dang tires back up every time I wanna ride it lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry about the delay folks, I was truckin lol I've been running the recommended 7 psi in all 4 since I got the bike. You think 10 would help? Also how much slime would you recommend? I'm thinking maybe a 12 ounce bottle divided evenly on all 4? Thanks a ton y'all, it's extremely frustrating to have a $10,000 brand new quad and have to air the dang tires back up every time I wanna ride it lol
They have instructions on the bottle of slime as to how to calculate how much to put in based on your tire size. Don't think 12oz will do it for all four. When I Slimed mine, I went to wally world and got the big bottle with a pumper. From what I recall, it was about ten pumps per tire. The big bottle at wal mart cost a little more than the 12oz bottles at other stores

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I gotcha, that's easy enough for me!! Now I'm gonna have to replace that steer tire but id rather do one than have to break all 4 down and tube em lol thanks much ztman!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If you're going to go the slime route, I will suggest using the highlifter tire sealant. Slime says on the bottle "will not stop bead leaks" while the highlifter stuff says "will stop bead leaks". They recommend one whole bottle per tire. Also, there are demos on YouTube where they puncture a tire repetitively with the highlifter stuff and it keeps sealing.

Lastly, I've read that scuffing the bead can help with seating. Might be something to read about.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I'll look into it, haven't heard of highlifter brand but I will check out the vids. Sounds like it'd be a cool vid too lol. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
reading about ur problem and some of the comments I really like thors tube and slime idea. also helps out ur front flat tire situation. I also wouldn't go the slime route use a better product like ultra-seal or the highlifter sealant. I was also thinking about scuffing the bead like bgirard stated. ultimately my thoughts are to go with a new set of tires. stock tires are lame and they make so many great aftermarket tires its a win win.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just for reference, what's a good set of "like stock" replacement tires typically go for? Maybe a little stronger in the sidewall but the same size as the stockers? And any mfg and model suggestions, I don't wanna put over size tires on it, I'd like something that I can put on the stock steel wheels and not have to bend my sway bar or space them or nothin lol just like a quick swap and go!

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
an all around great tire is the bighorn. they come in 26" but the front and rear will be an inch wider then oem. this additional increase in width will not need any modifications for fitment.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you can get stock sizes easy. I went with STI Black Diamonds myself and LOVE Them so far compared to the stockers I took off. I went up in size but didn't have to if I didn't want to. 6 ply so stronger than stock too. Really it depends on what you're looking to do with the tires to determine what will be good for you. but I got mine for under $400 shipped. but you can really increase the cost just by switching to different types of tires and different sizes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bighorns and black diamond both look like real good tires, I'm liking the white letters on the bighorns too... Always been a sucker for white letters lol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts